nesting fun...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    My first egg was the day before Thanksgiving. On the grass. Nothing the second day. Third day, I think three eggs of different colors in the nest. Ever since then, although they have eight nesting boxes they seem most happy laying all eggs in one nest, the one farthest from the ramp, in the corner. We added an extra nesting door next to this nest to get the eggs, and I've learned that it is smarter to not open this door until peering in through the other side to see if anyone is one the nest. They still will use the nest, but face towards the little door if I am there and then plop the egg right outside of the nest. Been getting at least three eggs a day. But here's an odd question: if they all like the same nest, do they have the ability to wait to lay an egg there until there is room?

Also, I'm learning that although they make a mess in their sleeping quarters, NONE use the nest to sleep in and they have never gone to the bathroom in it. Sure interesting learning about them! Also, once a hen matures enough to be consistant in laying, is there an average time spent in laying the egg? Once mine lay their egg, they don't waste any time in going back down the ramp and going outside. Just when they are first laying, they spend quality time in and around the area of the nest. And boy, their personalities once they start laying change! They are like feathered puppies looking for love. Follow and chat me up wherever I go in the back yard, squat down for a petting, and love to be held.

2. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Bet you don't have a roo with them [​IMG]

3. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    I HAD five. Zoned for 0. All my neighbors were patient, but really, they'd start up at 4:30, which made the neighbors cranky. I have a good friend whom lives in an unincorporated area, has lots of chickens and rehomed my beautiful boys. They are doing great there, and I can't wait to see what sort of chicks they produce. I miss roosters!! and one of my neighbors is from the country, and says she misses them too.

Hey, I was in Hemet two weeks ago.

4. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    My girls will all try to pile into the same nesting box. There is nothing funnier than walking out and seeing 3 hens sitting on top of each other in the same nest!! I wish I had a picture!

5. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    This morning, one was in one box, another in the box next to her. Maybe because they are still young and getting the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by