Nesting hen - can I stop her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bsmid, Aug 17, 2008.

1. bsmid

bsmid New Egg

Aug 17, 2008
    Nampa, ID
    My husband and I are new chicken parents. We have 3 hens and 1 rooster (a surprise). One of the hens is now sitting on her eggs but we don't want baby chicks, just eggs. We continually remove the eggs but she continues to sit. Is this a behavior that will eventually remedy itself around? Will she come out to eat? I never see her out of the coop. FYI - we're trying to find a home for Mr. Rooster so this doesn't continue. Looking forward to your advice.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Heya -

I don't know if it CAN be done, but I have never succeeded.

I had a broody hen who refused to leave the nest, even when I took the eggs. I tried for three weeks or more, and finally, I just took pity on her and let her sit on some eggs.

She hatched out two of them - only one survived, and she is taking fantastic care of it. The only thing to get her off that nest was to let her have a chick that she hatched, and then she left the nest to take of it. The chick is 6 weeks old now, and she has just started laying again.

If you don't mind a few more chickens, I'd let her hatch some - it doesn't have to be a lot, just three or four will make her happy. She's not going to lay eggs while she is broody and sitting, anyway - so why not get some free (without working for them) chickens.

The nice thing about a hen brooding the chicks is that you don't need a brooder setup, or a heat lamp, etc... and it is just so darn cute to watch the mama hen take care of them.

Peace -
    Meriah

3. bsmid

bsmid New Egg

Aug 17, 2008
    Nampa, ID
    Meriah, thank you so much for your response. This has crossed my mind as well but it's going to be cold soon (Idaho). Sounds like we may need to reseearch brooding IN ADDITION to finding Mr. Rooster, aka Legs, a new home! I appreciate your feedback!

Cathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by