Nesting mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Citrol, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Hi, I’m new to all of this. I don’t actually raise ducks, my situation is just by chance. I’ve been reading and learning a lot from this site. I have a nesting mallard duck in my flower bed; we live on a creek and it’s only about 70’ to the water. I’ve created a barrier to keep the dogs away from her. I gave her nesting material, I’ve had to fight off two snakes so far, and I give her fresh water in a shallow dish. She laid one egg a day for 9 days and has been sitting for long period of time for about 14 days. Everything I read says they will leave for short period of time to eat and stretch and wet their feathers. That’s been going on pretty consistently. However, this is the second time she’s been gone for for quite a while. About 4 days ago she was gone for 7 hours and then sat for 38 straight. Tonight she has been gone for over 8 hours now. I’m sure her eggs have cooled off even though they are covered. It’s only 69 degrees. Will these eggs survive without her body keeping them the right temperature? I’m just keeping my fingers crossed.

quackiemama likes this.
  2. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Sorry, this is my first time posting and I tried to post under “ducks”

quackiemama likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She might have abandoned the nest? Not all Hens are successful hatching. Keep waiting.

Citrol likes this.
  4. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Thank you for your reply. She came back at 5:30 this morning. She was gone just under 10 hours. I just worry if she keeps leaving for so long that the eggs won’t survive. I also wonder if she will know if they are no longer good to set on.

quackiemama and chickens really like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well if it's her first year setting she might be only going through the motions. My Call hens toss out the bad eggs. Sometimes the eggs are not fertile either. Just leave her and waiting is the best thing to do.

Citrol likes this.
  6. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Ok, thank you. I’ll just watch and wait.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    is it too early or ok to candle them? That should give you a good idea of what's going on. @Miss Lydia

quackiemama likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Sounds like this is a wild duck? Do you have an update @Citrol

quackiemama likes this.
  9. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    I’m not sure. She layed an egg a day from 19-28 May and she’s been pretty consistent on the nest ever since. But this was the second time she has left for what I am thinking is too long. She’s been back since 5:30 this morning and hasn’t moved all day.

quackiemama likes this.
  10. Citrol

Citrol In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Yes, she is a wild duck that just happened to nest in our front garden. She came back at 5:30 this morning and hasn’t left the nest. It’s now 9:15 pm. I guess I’m just gonna wait and watch what happened. I give her fresh water every day in a shallow dish and she’s been using it.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: