Nesting Material

Junkybird

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Dacusville, SC
Hey all, my two ducks (Mallards) live in the coop with my chickens and guineas. The female should begin laying soon, so I've been told
smile.png
We have nest boxes for the chickens and when the guineas get old enough to lay, we will just prop a board against the side of the coop . . . but what should I do for the duck? Should I put in some hay for her to lay on? We have a sand bottom coop. I fear that if I put in the hay that it would just get scattered around by everybody! LOL!

What do people use for nesting for ducks? Any comments appreciated. Thanks--

Ducks can't be counted on to lay in the same place every day. That said mine would often lay in a nest box in their duck house, just about six inches high, with straw in it.
I have seen pic of many different things people have set up for ducks, like five gallon buckets with doors cut in them, that might help keep the hay in. One lady arranged some firewood to make a nest for her mallards. It looked really natural and her mallards loved it.

Yes, I, too, experienced my ducks laying wherever. BUT don't give up. This is working for me so far. I put straw in the big dog kennels, propped the door a bit, just enough for the ducks to get into and to keep the chickens from scratching all the straw out. The chickens still get in, but to lay eggs also. These kennels are on the ground so not all of my chickens like being down that low. Like I said it is working for me now because the ducks are laying in them.
Good luck what ever you do.

BTW, my ducks are penned up during the night and free range most days. They usually go back to the dog kennel to lay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaagh, such mixed reviews! I don't currently have hay, but I do have shavings that I put in the chicken nest boxes. I might find some way to put it in something where the chickens can't get into it.

Mine also pop them out wherever they might be sleeping. I have noticed at times they will dig out an area in the grass, but only lay in a specific place a few times. I have tried putting straw in designated locations and sometimes they will lay in the straw. I guess it depends on your ducks and what they get used to!

Quote:
Straw is better than hay. Hay will get matted and moldy as where straw is hollow and can circulate air better.

I just happened to start the dog kennel thing just as they started laying. That must have been in my favor.

Back
Top Bottom