Nesting Materials

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nakstk, Dec 1, 2011.

1. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    What do you use for nesting materials? I had Aspen shavings in there at first. Then when I was talking to the guy at my local feed store he told me I should use straw or alfalfa. He gave me some to try but the 3 hens that aren't showing signs of laying thought it would be a good idea to kick it out of the nest.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it depends on the hens and your situation. If the shavings have worked for you in the past I'd go back to them. I think it's all just a matter of preference.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    they just arent ready to lay yet. I have straw in my nest boxes right now, but have used everything from paper out of my paper shredder to hay, to shavings. It usually makes no difference to them.

4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Quote:This is my first time raising Chickens and they haven't started laying yet. I am still waiting on my first egg. My hens are 20.5 weeks old.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would't worry too much. There still pretty young and it's pretty late in the year.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Our chooks usually take care of their nests for themselves. [​IMG]
    We'd put in grass clippings at first, but soon they went out and leaves, twigs, bits of discarded plastic and old cardboard pieces went in. The chickens are a creative bunch. I suppose they like to make their home their home as well.

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We use pine shavings-same ones as in the coop. Our nest boxes have about 5" high sides so they don't kick out the shavings much. I also put a golf ball in each nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by