Nesting Materials

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
What do you use for nesting materials? I had Aspen shavings in there at first. Then when I was talking to the guy at my local feed store he told me I should use straw or alfalfa. He gave me some to try but the 3 hens that aren't showing signs of laying thought it would be a good idea to kick it out of the nest.

I think it depends on the hens and your situation. If the shavings have worked for you in the past I'd go back to them. I think it's all just a matter of preference.

they just arent ready to lay yet. I have straw in my nest boxes right now, but have used everything from paper out of my paper shredder to hay, to shavings. It usually makes no difference to them.

Quote:
This is my first time raising Chickens and they haven't started laying yet. I am still waiting on my first egg. My hens are 20.5 weeks old.

I would't worry too much. There still pretty young and it's pretty late in the year.

Our chooks usually take care of their nests for themselves.
gig.gif

We'd put in grass clippings at first, but soon they went out and leaves, twigs, bits of discarded plastic and old cardboard pieces went in. The chickens are a creative bunch. I suppose they like to make their home their home as well.

Back
Top Bottom