1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dom1980, Apr 13, 2017.

1. dom1980

dom1980 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Hi - how often should you change the best material ? My new chickens are pooping all over the best daily and making a total mess - should it be changed often ? Thanks from a newbie

2. dom1980

dom1980 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    I mean nest sorry typo

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Are they sleeping in the nest boxes at night?....Are they laying eggs?

Block off the nest at night and reopen in the morning if they are laying...:)

Best of luck....:)

Cheers!

4. dom1980

dom1980 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks - no they're not yet laying

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Block them off till laying age to train them to roost..Silly birds..;)

Cheers!

6. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your chickens? And where are your nest boxes positioned? If the nest boxes are higher than the roosts or at the same level they will roost in the nests instead of on the roosting bars.

If they are still very young it's also normal for them to prefer snuggling in a nest box. Mine are about 8 weeks old and there are still a few who aren't roosting properly. I just go in every evening and put them on the roost if they're sleeping in the nest. If you do that for a few nights they'll get the idea.

7. dom1980

dom1980 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks - I m not sure of the age but they are quite young ... I will try blocking off the nesting area as they are roosting on the nest area as described ,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by