Nesting Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ikatiemay, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I have an americauna roo that gets in the nest, pulls the shavings around him and makes really funny noises!! What could be his problem? We have a BA roo also and I think he may be the boss. Poor Brigham!

2. DoloresRun

DoloresRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Maybe he's gay? [​IMG]

Sorry couldn't help myself [​IMG]

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    he's letting his hens know where he wants them to lay eggs and eventually get broody...

i've seen cochin roo's do this kind of stuff on youtube... pretty cool imo...

4. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Hes telling the ladys he cares about there eggs

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My lead roo does this, arranging the nest carefully, then he paces near the nest and does the egg song while one or two lay and a few more hang around waiting to lay, or thinking about it, whatever they're doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  6. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    two of my roos do the same. He first goes into the nest while the egg layer stands outside the nest complaining. then he turns in circles inside the nest calling and cooing. He also re-arranges the bedding for her. Then once the hen hops in, he hops out.

my hens were so bad at one point, they wouldn't lay an egg until the roo had inspected the nest and told her where to lay her eggs.

7. BuzzinBee

BuzzinBee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    So I guess chickens are similar to wild birds then... cuz the males are often the ones to find a good nesting spot and then they call the females to it.

8. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hahaha my roo does this too but he also bows to them and makes cute little noises [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nothing abnormal. . . Just a rooster being a natural gentleman. You'll notice they will make trilling noises to laying hens, they'll make nests, they'll offer food, etc. It is all a part of getting a hen comfortable and accepting. Much better than a rooster to do things with force, tearing at a hen's back feathers. [​IMG]

10. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Wow I had no idea!! He is quite handsome and really loves the ladys. Our other roo is a BA and I have never seen him behave like that. The BA spends alot of time chasing Brigham off the hens. I also wondered if he was gender confused! Good to know all is well in the coop. Its 3 below tonight and dropping fast hope they all stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by