1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nesting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flyzone13, Mar 28, 2012.

1. flyzone13

flyzone13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Ok I have a hen that layed eggs but I never saw her sit on them, so I took them out, she made a new nest and it has one egg in it but she wont lay on it, is there something not right or am I just impatient.

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Hens will usually wait to sit on a nest until they think they have the rightr amount of eggs in it. In nature hens will lay enough eggs so that the ratio of babies hatching is good. The more ducklings the better chance of having some survive. I would just be patient. I had a hen that went broody last year but it took her getting 20 eggs in the nest before she actually sat. I would go out and mark the date on them everyday, that way when she finally went broody i took out the really old ones and left the 10 newest ones in there. That way you will be less likely to have a rotten egg in the mix. It might be also that she just doesnt want to sit. I have a female rouen who has yet to want to sit on eggs. I would just let her build her nest and just hope for the best.

3. flyzone13

flyzone13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    So if I disturb the nest by marking her eggs she will still return? Sorry if that is a silly questions but this is new to me, and thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by