nestling boxes nest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JValera, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JValera

JValera Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi Guys and Ladies

I will have ( Barred Rocks , Black Australop , Bluff Orlington , Silver Laced and Red Sex Link )

I would like to know, if can I put this nestling boxes .. to 18 inches or 24 inches to the ground ( floor ) ??

[​IMG]
    # 1 ..... Model BB10 .... nest size 10 " high by 14 " wide

thank you so much .

--Jorge

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, it should work well.

3. JValera

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi Ridge

For your opinion

What heigh you will put the nestling......20 inches is better or to 24 inches is to high ?/

I don't know

thanks --Jorge

4. JValera

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi Ridge

I think that I will put to 18 inches to the ground ( floor )

because this nestling boxes nest have 2 perches

what do you think

thank you

--Jorge

5. JValera

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi Ridge

I 'm thinking to breed 250 chicks

Can I build the space room for 250 chickens hen layers...... 80 feet large by 32 feet wide = 2560 SQ. feet

It's fine or its to short ??

Please let me know

--Jorge

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people would put that right at floor level. Some would put it high enough so they don’t have to bend over, especially if they have bad backs and bending over hurts. With those breeds the chickens won’t care. If you had Silkies, well Silkies cannot fly, that would make a difference. But all your breeds can fly.

250 hens is a commercial sized flock and I don’t have aby experience with a flock that large. If you are in the US, talk to your county extension office. If not in the US, your state or federal government may have an agricultural department that can advise you. In my not-expert opinion I think it would be plenty big enough, not too small. But I also think it would be very expensive to build. I think you could reduce your initial investment substantially by talking to someone with the knowledge that can help you. There are some people on this forum that could help you but I’m not one of them.

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Jorge:

250 is a lot of birds, capable of producing as many as 15 to 20 dozen eggs per day.

What are your plans for that many eggs?

Ridgerunner is right. This is getting into the range of a small commercial sized flock and depending on where you are located and what your overall plans are, this could get really complicated in a hurry. The size and location of these nest boxes would be the least of my worries at this point. Just about every other facet of poultry husbandry is going to need to be considered as this goes forward, with a whole list of options to consider. In short, that is one really big bite to chew!

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    The floor of my nest boxes are 12 inches off the floor [easy for my heavy girls to hop up to] which is 20 inches off the ground on my raised coop and accessible from outside the coop, an easily accessible 32 inches off the ground.[​IMG] If your girls are like mine and lay their eggs between 5am to 9am, most of the time. I recommend two boxes per 5 pullets. I have witnessed on 2 occasions both boxes occupied and 1 waiting on the roost, out of 5 pullets. GC

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by