Nests

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jan 22, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The girls have been just laying their eggs in their house in their bins of oak leaves and pine straw. They are either just sitting on top or slightly buried. Until this morning. This morning 1 was mostly buried and the other 2 were sitting in a nest. The pushed the bedding out and around until they had themselves a little nest and both blue eggs were in there.

Um, is there any significance to them making a nest to lay their eggs?
    They were all out of sorts this morning and were sticking their heads back in the house after I removed the eggs and quacking up a storm. I told them I'd give them back if it was that important to them [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it's hormones.

Mine will go into a semi-broody phase, complete with making lovely nests and being a bit defensive about the eggs.

That's one reason I (who like to avoid confrontation - it's in my DNA) wait until everyone is outside. Then I give them food or some other fun distraction, and then sneak back over to the nest(s) and quietly swipe the eggs.

I feel a little bad for Elfie when she's feeling broody. She fusses over the eggs sometimes (turning, covering, sitting, cooing). But, then I have to remember that they're not fertile, anyway. But she still seems to miss them. Until an hour later. Short attention spans help, in this case.

That's why I don't imagine they'd actually sit a nest long enough to hatch eggs. They are easily drawn away from the nest and into whatever the rest of the flock is doing.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with Amiga. Hormones, faint traces of mothering instinct kicking in. Don't feel bad, though--if you're really worried about them, give them a fake egg (golf balls work great for this) or two in the nest. If they get serious about sitting on the eggs, you'll know, because you'll have to wear gloves in order to collect the eggs. In the mean time, think of it like little girls playing with dolls. Motherly instinct, yes; ready for the real thing, no.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    iamcuriositycat,

That's really a good explanation - they are feeling something, and respond to it, but it doesn't mean they are ready to be mothers.

That's the feeling I have about my Elfie. She is so sweet.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Unless they found a stray boy duck, they aren't getting anything from their eggs anyway [​IMG]

I get them out and down in the duck yard eating breakfast before I open their house and hunt for eggs. But as soon as I opened the roof this morning they were yelling their little quacky lungs out.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Awwwwww

Duckie tweens.
    [​IMG]

7. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    Haha, mine would sometimes just drop an egg out in the yard or in their run and other times make a nice nest. Sometimes when they make a nest and I take the eggs they will follow after me, "yelling" at me LOL so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by