netting for run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sharol, Nov 11, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Has anyone used the "New 50' X 50' Net Netting For Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens" sold by Amazon.com?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W2AG2M/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2GUMCXR7HBXM2

It is the only netting I have found with the correct dimensions for my proposed pen. there isn't much information at Amazon (or Buy.com for that matter) about the weight of the mesh, but it is a 2"x2" "Nylon multifilament net"

Any input would be helpful. I just can't afford a custom net, and the price is OK (exhorbitant shipping, though).

Sharol

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
  3. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I was looking over there, too. Part of the problem is the shape/size of the run. The netting is intended to only be a deterrent to hawks/owls and other flying predators. I'll shut the girls in the coop if I will be gone late afternoon. The American nettings stuff looks better, but I would have to splice it or mortgage the house to buy a piece wide enough.

Thanks for the response. I'm also looking for a price from Endurancenet. I'm going to give them a call in the morning before I order anything. Again, the dimensions are the problem, though.

Quote:

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    If it's just birds /hawks ur worried about , u might considered running fishing wire in a parallel pattern 3ft apart . Keeps them from being able to swoop.

5. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Does that really work? Do the chickens run into the fishing line? Don't want to decapitate anyone.

Quote:

6. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Purely anecdotal, but I use stuff from Home Depot which I think is labeled as deer fence. I can't see it stopping deer, but it keeps out wild birds. I have hawks that circle hunting. I've seen them attack birds in the neighbor's tree. They haven't ever touched my chickens. It comes in 7'x50', I believe. I just zip tied it together to cover the full width.

7. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I use deer netting as well from TSC.

8. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just bought this and will be putting it up in my pen tomorrow. I'm very happy with the material. It looks to be perfect! I'll be posting pics of my pen once its up tomorrow. I thought the same thing on the shipping too! I was going to buy two of them and when I saw they doubled the shipping when you bought two, I decided to modify my pen a bit. It's worth the $13 for shipping. It comes UPS and it's a fairly big box, so I don't think they are marking the shipping up alot on one net.

9. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    I bought three rolls of that green plastic chicken "wire" (actually there's no wire in it - all plastic) that measures 10 feet by 25 feet. My run is 10 x 16. I attached it to the top of my run and I attached the pieces together with ziplock tie straps. It won't keep out nasty destructive animals such as a raccoon, but it will keep out hawks, owls, and many kinds of birds.

10. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I ordered it and it is supposed to be here Wednesday. they have the same stuff at Buy.com with free shipping, but the overall cost is $10 more. go figure that one.

Do post a picture when you get it in place. I'm still wrestling with roosting bars, a platform, a hanging feeder and a dam to keep the bedding from piling out the door. I'm hoping to have the girls in their new coop tomorrow or Monday at the latest. My DH is supposed to get the fencing done tomorrow, and I'll just have to be careful when I leave them out until the netting comes and gets put in place.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by