Neurological Disease? Starts out with hurt leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarah fairbanks, Aug 20, 2011.

1. sarah fairbanks

sarah fairbanks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I have 2 separate chicken coops, one with newer bantams and the other has older regular sized laying hens. A couple weeks ago, I had to put 4 of my chickens down and I now have 3 more that are not acting right.
    It started with the first one that was not walking on one of her feet so I put her in a smaller pen so she could heal better and hopefully quicker by herself, the next day I had another one that was limping as well and looked like she had had a stroke or something, I let them be to see if they were just having a bad day and the next day there were 2 more showing some of the same signs as the other 2. Because it looked like whatever it was was contagious I put down the 4 that were having symptoms, I cleaned out the coops completely and washed everything down with bleach and put in new shavings, bleached all the feeders and everything to be sure everything was clean and any germs or whatever were dead. For a few days everything seemed to be fine and back to normal, now I have 3 more chickens that are showing the same symptoms? What is going on here?
    I have spent a lot of time this morning going through this page trying to figure it out but have come up with nothing! There is no blood in there poop, there poop does seem to be a little green and runny but they eat a lot of grass so I just figured that was what the poop issue was, probably not the correct thing to assume huh?
    We love our chickens and hate to have them suffer but also hate to loose them all one at a time, they are part of our family so any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not in a financial situation right now to take them to a vet for all kinds of testing.
    Also what about the eggs they have been laying, are those OK to eat or could what ever is wrong with the chickens be passed onto humans through their eggs?
    Thanks a ton in advance for any and all reply's to this very strange thing that is going on in my coops!!!
    ~~ Sarah in Maine ~~

2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Unfortunately sounds like Mareks. You can search it and come up with lots of info. Sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

3. sarah fairbanks

sarah fairbanks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Is there anything I can do? That is what it sounds like, so so so sad!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by