1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

neurological illness maby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peepsdanvers, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Peepsdanvers

Peepsdanvers Just Hatched

Jan 3, 2017
    Have two chickens almost 1 year now that have episodes where they tilt their head to the side and run in a circle chattering their beek.

They eat but are very thin witch worrys me.

They are the lowest in the pecking order and get bullied by the other chickens smaller and the same size as them.

They love to hang out with me when they are free ranging. Like siting on me and scratching my pants with there beeks.

One of the hens started this after she got attacked at 2 months or so by a dog

he bit her head witch made blood in her ear.

The other was 3 months or so when I notice her doing the same thang.

Don't know what happens to her and lap dog was not any where near Alkalight(the first hen) so L.D. could not be copping her.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's a treatment plan from an old thread. Vitamin E and selenium are two of the things chickens can be deficient in that can end up causing neurological disorders. Most have good outcomes.

• [​IMG]
    I wanted to revive this thread and report a positive result! The silkie pullet has completely recovered from the wry neck and is now enjoying being back out with her buddies.

This was the regimen we use:

Vit. E (400mg) snip the tip off a capsule and squeeze into mouth twice a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
    Selenium (25mcg) dissolve one 250mcg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc once a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
    Prednisone 1mg. dissolve one 10 mg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days
    B-Complex purchased in liquid form from Walgreens; 0.5 cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days

1 person likes this.
  3. Peepsdanvers

Jan 3, 2017
    You think it is a type of wry neck?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's impossible to make an exact diagnosis. But it seems to fit with some sort of neurological disorder that may respond to wry neck treatment. Not all wry neck victims "star gaze", but they do all have some weird thing with their neck action.

5. Peepsdanvers

Jan 3, 2017
    Do I give them all that medicine

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, but especially the selenium and E. You should be able to pick up all those at any pharmacy like Walmart or Walgreens.

7. Peepsdanvers

Jan 3, 2017
    Will my hens start acting like normal hens when I fix this. Alkalight uesd to be very smart and confident before that stupid dog (a puppy tecnicly) attacked her. I will be so happy if she does go back to the way she was before the attack.

Raised her for the first 3 weeks buy her self before i was able to buy a chick for her for company.

8. Peepsdanvers

Jan 3, 2017
    Do i do each medicine one buy one or all in the same day. I'm thinking one at a time.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Follow the directions. But if it's too complicated, just do the "E" an the selenium together for ten days. Then follow up with the B vitamins and the prednisone for an additional five days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by