Neurologically injured?? Pic included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caliclucker, Aug 30, 2014.

1. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I found this cockerel ( I'm pretty sure it's male) this morning on the floor of the coop. He can barely walk (kind of stumbles), keeps his neck and head very low to the ground and his wings hang down.

I felt and looked all over him and cannot find any obvious injury. I can pull his wings out all the way but he can't seem to tuck them in. I can straighten his head/neck to normal position but then they just sink right back down.

He ate some scrambled egg and mealworms I gave him but he can't get around very well to feed himself. I'm keeping him in a dog crate for a couple days, but if he doesn't improve I'm going to cull him.

Is it possible he has a partial spinal injury? I can't figure this out. He was fine yesterday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I read of some of the previous threads involving a droopy neck & have a few things for you to research.

1. Cholera
    2. Mareks disease
    3. Snake bite
    4. New Castle Disease

Is he drinking? What does his droppings look like? Is he your only rooster? Have you checked over his skin for mites, lice, injury? Did you feed him anything other than the ordinary? Does he free range?

3. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011

He isn't drinking too readily. I offer it but he doesn't seem interested.
    I have I think at least two other cockerels.
    I looked him over and see no obvious injury. He was fine on Thursday.
    No unusual food.
    No free ranging. They live in a very larger run.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How is he today? I sent PM to a couple backyard chicken members with more experience than me, to try to get someone to advise you. Good luck. At this point I would focus on keeping him hydrated, keep him isolated & watch for any new symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by