Neurotic? Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beausonge, Oct 16, 2012.

1. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    I have a Wellsummer pullet that I tried everything mentioned on here to break her of broodiness. She got so she would not eat or drink and lost a ton of weight. She would run around the barnyard with a sort of crazy squawk and go right back to a nest. I finally put her in the heated, insulated tack room where I am raising some fall pullets because she was shivering in the regular hen house. I gave her 3 eggs and she is now eating and drinking. However, she will not get up - even to poop or pee. She just does it right where she is sitting. I have to clean around her back end every day and put in fresh chips.

So, I have a couple of questions Can I just push her off her eggs and move them to clean bedding every day then clean her old spot? She is finally eating and drinking well so I don't want her to quit again by upsetting her. She has been on the eggs for 14 days now. I am worried her leavings will contaminate the eggs.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Her droppings will mess up the eggs, yes. I think you should physically remove her from the nest every day and feed her then. I've noticed my broody chickens usually poop when they eat, so hopefully she'll do her business then. It's not guaranteed that it'll work, but try?

3. beausonge

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    She has been eating and drinking much better the last two days so I will try tomorrow. She seems more "secure" and content in with the pullets. I think they may have cheered her up.

4. beausonge

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    So, I took Ms. Broody off her nest and like a good mama she had the eggs far forward out of the mess. What was incredibly disgusting was the poop caked on her backside. So, she got a bath and she was nasty again the next day so she got another one. The next day? lo and behold she finally went and did her business elsewhere.

So the lesson here is do not assume a broody will get off the nest to relieve themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by