1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

neurotic rooster needs a friend...what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pipthepeep, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    I am looking to expand my "flock"...well, ok so its not exactly a flock-- basically my solitary rooster needs a new friend or two, since his only housemate has, uh, been evicted so to speak. I hatched Pippy from an egg, raised him with another chicken that I got as a day old chick (who, of course, turned out to be a rooster too...), and the darn thing is now 9 months old and follows me everywhere and crows whenever I am out of sight. It is beyond ridiculous! His friend became interested in the neighbor's hens and is being re-homed (both because he has become aggressive towards people and also because the two roosters have officially stopped getting along). Pippy, however, seems to have no desire to be with other chickens...he never goes anywhere near the neighbors hen-house even though he knows there are chickens there and when her hens are out, he basically chases them and then goes back to following me around and finding treats (aka bugs) for me. He gets nervous and starts pacing and crowing whenever I put him back in his run and walk away. I feel so bad for him!

Since yesterday, when I had to remove the other rooster, he has been living by himself, but obviously that is not a permanent solution. I can't quit my job and spend all my time with a neurotic little rooster! I guess I would like to try to introduce him to a hen, but I am worried since he has shown zero interest in other chickens other than to chase them. If I put a hen in the run with him, I am worried that he might just view her as an intruder and pick a fight. Any thoughts? Think I should just try it and see what happens? Would it be ok with just one hen? Or what about a very submissive rooster, like bottom of the totem pole, who would just let him be the boss?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    He may be chasing the hens because he wants to breed with them. When I have young roosters they chase after the hens to mate. He should do fine with hens [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Get him more than 1 hen or she will be over loved. 2 or 3 to start with would make a nice small flock.

4. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    I am confused because he just chases them away, then goes back to what he is doing (ie, following me around!)..he literally seems to have no interest in them! I am thinking if i just lock them up together in the run and then keep an eye on them, he will have to socialize...

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    If he is in the hormone stage then the chasing about is him trying to get the girls attention. It sounds like he is still too young to have the romance part down yet.
    Try getting 2 hens and slowly introduce them together. (Please note that it is recommended to seperate start flock and older birds for 30 day quarentine before introducting them to the resident stock)
    By the time the new hens or pullets have finished quarentine he maybe ready for some girls of his own. Just introduce slowly by putting the pen with the girls next to his where he can see and watch them for a couple of weeks. Then one night slip the girls on his roost with him. When he wakes up he will have 2 ladies. Watch how they interact incase of over roughness. There will be the normal pecking order thing that will happen as everyone establishes their place in the new group.

6. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    Okay thanks for the advice! In the meantime, is it ok for him to be by himself? I know chickens are social, i don't want him to be miserable while he is alone-- I feel so guilty:( I'm not sure he really cares, he seems just a vocal now that he is alone as he was when he was with the other rooster. He actually got locked in one night in the shed with the neighbor's chickens (on the opposite side of the chicken wire from them) and in the morning he couldn't wait to get the heck away from them...I just figure it is more natural for him to have a flock of his own, instead of treating me like his flock...

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    He should be ok till you get him some buddies. He will be lonely when you go to work. You can try sticking a stuffed animal in his pen for company.
    He will really need a buddy though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by