1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"neuter a rooster" How to?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by augiedranch, Jul 4, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i would like to castrate a rooster of mine. i want to keep him as a pet. he is extremely little. (blue bantam) and i was wondering if it was even possible.

thanks

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's called "caponization" and it's not pleasant.

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Why do you want to "fix" him?
    I would assume fixing a rooster is incredibly painful to the rooster, and very hard.

I would not recommend it.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have a rooster as a pet - and have had them for over 13 years - no need to castrate. My guys have been gentle and friendly and fine without the need for that.

JJ

5. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i do not have enough hens to go around. and i have three roosters i am wanting and needing to keep. blu, the banty is just an extra. i dont have bantam hens, so i dont need mutt chicks. and i dont want my hens getting run ragged. not in this 102 degree tx weather. he is a friendly thing and i really like that lil guy. i neuter dogs and cats all the time, i castrate my own goats.. i believe in spaying and neutering.. i dont see how its any different with a rooster.. wouldnt they be under anesthesia..?

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Caponization is risky and would be especially difficult with a bantam. Dogs and cats have their boys on the outside. It is a completely different level of risk when you have to go inside. It can also only be done during a certain age window.

Chickens are also backwards from cats and dogs in that their babies happen on the outside. If you don't want mutts, don't incubate the eggs.

7. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i cant stop a hen from wanting to sit though.. and then when she does, im stuck trying to give away chickens and lil roos that nobody wants. and the fate of them is not good. they get killed. and i dont want that to happen. so i would rather it not happen in the first place..

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've got an idea. i wonder if one of those chicken diapers could work as a contraceptive device? Not for the ladies, but if your little roo wore one. (Probably not a viable long term solution.)
    [​IMG]

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    lol thats cute. he sure would look cute in it though!!! [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Why not just make him his own little area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by