Neutered kittens - pine pellets?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BlazeJester, Sep 27, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Can I use pine pellets for my kittens? The vet told me to use shredded paper but I don't think they've ever seen it before and all they're doing is playing with it. I'm not sure that pellets would be better, but since they'll be sequestered in my bedroom for the next week I really want to find something they'll actually pee on.

Ideas? Thanks!

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:There are litters made of pelleted paper, and some that are a bit softer, but not as lightweith as torn paper. One brand is Carefresh. Are you declawing too, or just neutering?

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Just neutering. It kinda broke the bank, which is why I ask about pine pellets - I already have some. If I have to buy, though, anything is better than tearing teeny shreds of newspaper inserts...

4. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Ok, then its not quite as important. If they were getting declawed you would need something soft, but I am guessing they want paper b/c it wont stick to the incision like litter. Which means no on the pellets. The pellets blow up into bits that would stick. So, you want somehting large enough not to stick.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You'll probably be fine with the pine pellets. I think I might have even used those back when my cats got spayed.

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If you've only had them neutered, then I wouldn't worry about changing litters. Kitten neuters almost never get infected. I'm not sure why your vet would recommend changing litter, since whatever litter you had been using isn't going to cause a problem and changing litters could actually cause them to stop using the litter box and develop behavioral issues with the box. In fact, changing litters is likely enough to cause litter box problems that there are many vets out there that don't even recommend changing litters if the cat is declawed (although probably many more recommend using paper litter for about a week after the declaw). I've assisted in hundreds of kitten neuters, and none of the vets I've talked to have ever recommended using paper litter after a neuter or spay. And honestly, I have never seen a single neuter incision get infected. And the few times I have seen a spay incision get infected it was because the cat messed with it, not because of litter sticking to it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I use pine pellets as litter for ALL my cats, have for years. It's great stuff! I used feline pine for a few years until I figured out how much cheaper the horse pellets are. And they work just as well. No more cats that smell like baby powder. And when I wasn't on septic, I could flush the poo down the people toilet if I wanted to. [​IMG]

8. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    the pelleted formula cat litter should be fine.. for a male neuter (which is more like a vasectomy) in cats.. the restrictions really are no regular/scented or really fine dusty cat litter for 3 days.. other than that they are free to terrorize around the place.. my little dude just got snipped a couple weeks ago.. brought him home from vet and left him in carrier until he was more alert.. let him out and before I knew it he was running around.. he did not take to the shredded paper either and ended up pooping twice on cement floor right in front of litter box and I think the little guy held his pee for as long as possible cause he did not want to go in that shredded paper and finally found a bag of sawdust that he literally peed a gallon on.. with that happening he came off his litter restriction a day early and was fine.. little hellion was zippin around and would have never guessed his little kitty kahunas were cut!!!!! Spaying for the females and declawing are more of an issue with cats..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by