Neutering a Goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickensXOXO, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    If you neuter a male as a small kid, does that help prevent issues like bucking and aggression?

I've been doing some research on goats, and I'm hoping to train a goat or two to be as pets.

So I'm wondering if neutering would help my future male be a better pet?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Most definately will help with aggression and smell and they will make very nice pets!

3. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Yes. You can have the baby "band" castrated at about 3 weeks old. You do NOT want an intact buck as a pet. Also, you cannot have just one goat. Get at least two; one goat alone will be miserable.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Wethering is very commonly done to young bucks. For good reason, if you don't want to breed! A intact, mature buck is worse than Pepé Le Pew! They urinate all over themselves to make themselves sexy for the does. A vet can do it, and a lot of breeders to do as well before sending a kid home with their new family.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I have two nubian bucks that are the most wonderful pets. In tact. Bert and Ernie are two loveable fatties.

6. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I have both a full intact buck that is just as lovable as can be and yes he does smell and I also have a wether that is a pain in the bottom, but he is also lovable. I am getting rid of most all my goats except the buck and wether and possible one doe, the doe just because she is best friends with the wether.

I dont know if banding them has anything to do with horn growth but my buck has a set of horns on him that are huge, yet the wether that is just one year youngers has small horns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by