Neutering goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StacyV, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StacyV

StacyV New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    So I have read all the literature on the internet. My kid is 6 weeks old and I think its time to neuter him. What do you think is the best method? Banding, cutting, burdizzo??? Any advice would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am taking my one boy who is to become a wether to the lady we bought our goats from since we don't have the equipment to do wethering. I know she does banding. If I were to do it myself, I think I would feel much more comfortable banding than using the burdizzo.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I prefer banding on goats especially those that are for show or pets...not sure why but that is my oinion

4. StacyV

StacyV New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    I, myself would feel more comfortable banding but I keep reading about how inhumane it is. People that have done it seem to have had no problems.

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    When we had our goats I watched the woman band them before they came home. They did have current CD & T shots to help with any infection that might arise. It seemed pretty simple. Just make sure they are old enough where both ...... well thingies have dropped and make sure to band "all" of them. Good luck.

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have also read that it is more inhumane than the burdizzo, but I think that I would rather do the banding once and have it done right, than try to use the burdizzo and possibly have to go back and do it again if I didn't get it done correctly the first time.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    We band.

Please wait until he is 8 weeks old or more...the older he is when he's wethered the better his chances at avoiding UC.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is good to know Kate. I thought I had read that, but then the lady we got ours from said I could bring him along next week to be banded when we take the girl to be disbudded. He would only be a bit over two weeks.

9. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I would wait as long as you can before banding.

10. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    We prefer banding, and wait until at least 8 weeks. We also give them a tetanus anti toxin shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by