neutralizing quail poop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmann, Nov 17, 2014.

1. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi guys

I'm new here, posted a few threads, got some great answers. My setup is that I have 250 quail in a 4 tiered cage and 2 other cages. They all drop some mighty heavy poo

I tried wood shavings for bedding but gets too heavy when cleaning and worms/ maggots (I dont know what) form faster. Maximum 2 days and then I see worms roaming in the poop

I have them inside a spare room and no garden space. Can't bury.

You can imagine what a load 250 of them drop.
    Any solutions? Anyway to neutralize ssmell? Dont have DE or stall dry in my country. :(

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    subscribing...i have the same problem

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    What country are you in?

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'm also confused when you say they are in a four-tiered cage .. don't the bottom three tiers get poop on the birds?

1 person likes this.
  5. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    I'm not sure what type of feed quails eat (whether seed or pellet form) but Fermented Feed reduces both odor and volume of poo. By fermenting it, the birds get more nutrients out of a smaller amount of food; it fills them up better than dry feed, thus they eat less resulting in less poo. Not only does it save on the frequency in which you have to clean but also the amount you spend on feed. It may be something well worth looking into.

6. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Also, every time I clean the coop (even if it's just the catch board) I spray it down with a vinegar/water solution with a few drops of essential oil in it. Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and disinfectant.

7. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    Try some apple sider vinegar in their drinking water

8. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    I live in Sri Lanka.
    Each tier has a drawer. I pull out and clean. Trying to post a pic.
    I feed them commercial feed. -IslandGirl, Can you tell me more about fermenting please? Definitely interested in it.

I add EM (essential micro organisms) in their water. Will ACV has a negative effect if so?

9. betta5

betta5 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Well, I can't compost my chicken poop, BUT our county does collect yard waste so what I do is buy the big Lowes yard waste bags, scoop all the poop on the bottom and then put cleaner shavings on top and some yard waste. And off it goes into the county compost piles... I would think you could do the same with quail poop if your county picks up yard waste. You might be able to hide some of teh smell with garden lime maybe... I had a friend who would sprinkle lime down after mucking out her horse stalls... I thought it was for the smell but not 100% certain on that.

10. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    Here are some pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by