I bought an 9-12 egg incubator and put 7 eggs in it. Everything was ok until the first chick hatched. Didn't do the research I needed to do so I opened the incubator after the chick dried and the other eggs that had pipped (3 of them) began drying out. 36 hours later no progress. I took the eggs, one at a time, into the kitchen and used some very warm water to kind of soak the eggs. Was able to help get rid of the shell a bit at a time. The membranes were green at the back end of each chick. Each chick was able to get through the membrane with no problem. I dried them off with a papertowel and returned them to the incubator for the rest of the day until they dried out. I now have 4 beautiful healthy chicks in a brooder box on day 4 after the hatch. Learned my lesson about opening the incubator. Won't do that again. Just counting myself very, very lucky. BTW, I now have 3 barred rock chicks and a black chick with a brown spot on it's head. Figure to name that one BS.