Never Again

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dogdollar, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Songster

May 19, 2010
    The day before yesterday, I thought it might be cool to give my chookies a can of tuna.
    They liked it, alright...so much that they were at my feet after it was all gone, giving me the sad eyes.
    Like any chicken lover, I said what the heck......and gave them another can.
    Of course, I can't feed them two cans of tuna every day...it was supposed to be just a one-time thing. Still, I like for my chickens to be happy, so I had a look around the next time I was at the store, and I spotted some generic mackerel that was a LOT cheaper than the tuna..so I bought a can.
    Folks, when I poured that mackerel into their treat dish, it was as if I had poured it into a wood chipper...there were drops of fish juice flying a good five feet in the air, and ever since then, the chookies follow my every step, every place I go in the yard. I very nearly tripped over one yesterday and DID trip over one today.
    I am definitely going to have to calm them down a bit after this fish business.....but, if you want to see your hens really pig out, dump out a can of mackerel and stand back !!!
    Also...on another note....fresh corn is all over the place right now. For me, it's eight ears for two dollars. i always buy them a fresh, juicy ear and hang it with string from a tree at about eye level...I call it a chicken pinata...and they love it to death. It spins, it rocks, and they fall all over each other trying to get a peck at it. Fun stuff......
    DD

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's too funny!

3. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chirping

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    hehehehe [​IMG]
    So new to this!! Just brought my bunch home tonight...! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390723&p=4

Is
    it ok to give birds raw fish? or is tuna not considered raw? I know I read something, I just can't remember what!!! We got home a little late tonight with our girls, hoping to give them some fresh things from the garden tomorrow! The kids can't wait to see them eat special treats! If I find something they really like, like the mackerel, the kids will go as crazy as the chickens!!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nothing like fresh breath chickens. Holy mackeral!!

5. turbo13

turbo13 Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Hi. Canned Tuna Is Steamed. I Give Mine Raw Salmon.mackrel Canned Is Also Cooked.i Think Steamed.they Love Fish

6. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    This is a really good chicken treat idea, dogdollar! We had oysters the other day and our girls LOVED getting a little oyster meat. I think they like seafood more than my cat ever did.

7. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Yup.. We do all the time.. Toss them a bluegill or bass. I just get it "started" for them..
    They love raw fish. (Canned tuna is not considered raw..)[​IMG]

Dogdollar.. Congrats! You discovered chickens love love meat!

ON

8. those fine bones aren't a problem? Do they eat them or leave them?

I have a fisherman friend who buys eggs from me, should I ask him to save the heads for me?

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

just remember that if your hens eat a lot of fish, your eggs can pick up that flavor, too. Not a good combo, IMHO. [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

"there were drops of fish juice flying a good five feet in the air"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: