Never Again

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dogdollar, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    The day before yesterday, I thought it might be cool to give my chookies a can of tuna.
    They liked it, alright...so much that they were at my feet after it was all gone, giving me the sad eyes.
    Like any chicken lover, I said what the heck......and gave them another can.
    Of course, I can't feed them two cans of tuna every day...it was supposed to be just a one-time thing. Still, I like for my chickens to be happy, so I had a look around the next time I was at the store, and I spotted some generic mackerel that was a LOT cheaper than the tuna..so I bought a can.
    Folks, when I poured that mackerel into their treat dish, it was as if I had poured it into a wood chipper...there were drops of fish juice flying a good five feet in the air, and ever since then, the chookies follow my every step, every place I go in the yard. I very nearly tripped over one yesterday and DID trip over one today.
    I am definitely going to have to calm them down a bit after this fish business.....but, if you want to see your hens really pig out, dump out a can of mackerel and stand back !!!
    Also...on another note....fresh corn is all over the place right now. For me, it's eight ears for two dollars. i always buy them a fresh, juicy ear and hang it with string from a tree at about eye level...I call it a chicken pinata...and they love it to death. It spins, it rocks, and they fall all over each other trying to get a peck at it. Fun stuff......
    DD

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's too funny!

3. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    hehehehe [​IMG]
    So new to this!! Just brought my bunch home tonight...! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390723&p=4

Is
    it ok to give birds raw fish? or is tuna not considered raw? I know I read something, I just can't remember what!!! We got home a little late tonight with our girls, hoping to give them some fresh things from the garden tomorrow! The kids can't wait to see them eat special treats! If I find something they really like, like the mackerel, the kids will go as crazy as the chickens!!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nothing like fresh breath chickens. Holy mackeral!!

5. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Hi. Canned Tuna Is Steamed. I Give Mine Raw Salmon.mackrel Canned Is Also Cooked.i Think Steamed.they Love Fish

6. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    This is a really good chicken treat idea, dogdollar! We had oysters the other day and our girls LOVED getting a little oyster meat. I think they like seafood more than my cat ever did.

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Yup.. We do all the time.. Toss them a bluegill or bass. I just get it "started" for them..
    They love raw fish. (Canned tuna is not considered raw..)[​IMG]

Dogdollar.. Congrats! You discovered chickens love love meat!

ON

8. En Plein Air Farms

En Plein Air Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

those fine bones aren't a problem? Do they eat them or leave them?

I have a fisherman friend who buys eggs from me, should I ask him to save the heads for me?

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

just remember that if your hens eat a lot of fish, your eggs can pick up that flavor, too. Not a good combo, IMHO. [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

"there were drops of fish juice flying a good five feet in the air"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by