1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never again!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggCentric, Apr 4, 2008.

1. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    I will never again have Jersey Giants. There are 6 out there, and out of 6, I get, at most, two eggs a day. Usually just one, sometimes none. They get everything they need nutritionally, I think they are just poor producers. I got them for eggs, I don't eat chickens.

So I just have 6 freeloaders.

2. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Maybe if you got out in the coop with a friend you can casually mention that chickens that don't produce get eaten. That might change your mind LOL [​IMG]

If they really are not producing you might trying putting them on craiglist for someone looking for a pet chicken.

3. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    I have threatened them with eating them, even explained how to make chicken and dumplings to them. Didn't work. I've heard from a few other people that have JG's that theirs aren't producing any better.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yeah, I think they're pretty notorious for being eating machines with not much return on the dollar!

5. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    My daughter came home last summer with 2 giants last year. They were about 4 weeks old. They laid for about 2 months when they were 21 weeks. But thats about it. Now they are "freeloaders" as you say. Maybe an egg or two once in a while from them.

6. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Black Jersey Giant that I have had for almost 2 years now and she lays on the average about one egg every other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by