never before broody hen whom just started laying may be adopting chicks!!

KYfreerange

Chirping
Oct 31, 2019
Hancock County, Kentucky
Had 11 baby chicks a few days ago. In incubator. I have this sexlink hen who is super friendly. Nicest hen I got. She's a middle of the pecking order hen. All of a sudden i got the idea to let her see the new chicks. She clicked and purred to them through the cage so i let her in. She wants to act like the mommy but she never has been one nor was she raised by one. I bought her at Rural King.
20191111_165815.jpg

I brought her inside with the chicks. She was hating it at first like usual inside. But when I put her in cage with the chicks she instantly changed. I moved my brooder light way over to just cover a corner of cage. She sat and let the chicks crawl under. Shocked! I've only seen this happen twice and it was old english bantams that done it. She spent the night inside the house with them. Now I got a dilemma. What do I do from here? Should I just try and moving her and the chicks to the coop into a nesting box? Could the other chickens be mean or will they accept them because she has? Should I let her stay inside a couple days to watch her or maybe move her and chicks to a cage outside to see how she does there? This is certainly new to me

I have no experience with raising chicks at all. We need some experts up in here.
@Pyxis are you around?
@Texas Kiki , thoughts? Who else would be good to call out to?
I don't do chicks and broodys either.
I would move them all to the coop today BUT not where the other chickens can get to them.

Can you put this cage in the coop?

I don't do chicks and broodys either.
I would move them all to the coop today BUT not where the other chickens can get to them.

Can you put this cage in the coop?
Thanks for popping in. Good point about putting the cage in the coop.

I usually let my hens raise their chicks with the flock and I rarely have issues. If you're sure she has adopted them, and that the chicks have properly imprinted on her, you could try moving them out to the coop. I'd keep an eye on the situation at first, just in case.
I called on you because I know you have experience with raising chicks with a hen. Thanks for jumping in.

I had a broody for the first time this summer. I kept them in their own cage with food and water inside the bigger coop for a week, until I was sure the babies had strong legs. The flock could come in and see them during the day but not get at them. It was not an open cage like that though. It was the plastic dog crate style. After a week, they went out in the run with the flock but in a wire crate. During the second week, I let everyone out to free range together in the evenings when I could keep an eye on them. After that, the babies have grown up with the flock and mamma usually defended them until now when they are big enough to defend themselves or get away. Note: She only had 3, not so many as this mamma.

Back
Top Bottom