Never enough Chukars

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by chickenwhisperer, Jun 28, 2010.

1. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I just got back from the Gamebird Breeders place.
    I bought some chukar and pheasant eggs off him about a month ago, and got a great hatch.

I talked to him over the weekend, and he said he was gearing down on chukars for the year, but he had a couple thousand eggs stored for hunting ranch orders.

He said I could definately get another flat if I wanted, so I went down this am.

When I got there, we talked gamebirds for about an hour, he told me lots of secrets and his opinions, great info!
    He had to get back to work, so I pulled out my cash, and he went into the cool room to grab my eggs.
    He comes out with 5 flats, and tells me I can have em all for the price of 1 flat . . .
    I jumped all over the offer.

So I got 250 chukar eggs for the price of 50

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Hope you have a big incubator!

I raised Chuk's ........ONCE! Nasty little demons:mad: Might get the nerve to try again someday, now that I know what I did wrong.

Good Luck on the hatch!

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:so what did you do wrong? tia

4. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    [​IMG] Sounds like you have a good friend there!!!

5. turkaholic

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland

Had no problem hatching and rearing. When they were older, I kept them in a colony and next breeding season they killed one another in short order.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

Had no problem hatching and rearing. When they were older, I kept them in a colony and next breeding season they killed one another in short order.

So they were all right through the winter in a colony situation ? They just need to be paired off for romance [​IMG] ?

7. turkaholic

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    I should have paired them come spring. I might try them again sometime, but right now pheasant ,quail and turkey keep me busy enough.

8. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:one sure fire way to tell males from females is to put them all in the same pen in the spring... all the dead ones will be the roos!!
    I put a roo and 3-4 hens in a pen and they do fine.

9. chickenwhisperer

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    My plan is to follow UC Davis PDF recommendation of 3.9 birds to a pen that measures 60"w x 24"d x 20"h.
    Im going to make 2 or 3 of these cages as a stackable unit, and thats how they will always be kept.

The guy I got them from keeps them on raised wire pens, but his are enormous, prolly like 100 x 100, with little walkways thru them to help collect eggs, really neat setup.

10. chickenwhisperer

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I ended up selling 100 of the eggs and set the other 150, just about filled the incubator . . .

My plan is to raise the chukars according to the recommendations in the UCdavis pdf, 25 chicks to a cage.
    At the 12-16 week mark Ill offer some for sale, butcher some for a bbq with friends, and keep some for breeders.

Like I said above, Ill keep 3.9 in each breeding cage, but if I end up with 2.6 or 1.7, so be it.
    I plan to have 3 cages, 2 for breeders and 1 for grow-out.

This is all my first attempt at chukars, and the chicks I already have now are doing great.
    I sold some on CL, and havent gotten any callbacks about them, so thats good.

I really like these chukars so far, the eggs have great fertility, the chicks are strong and healthy, and from what I hear they are very very tasty.
    Depending on the ease/difficulty of care, Im hoping they are a sustainable meat project for me, and I already know other people around here want to buy them as well.

I thought I liked valley quail, but these chukars are quickly becoming my favorite birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by