Never feed the chickens after dark.... Correction Always feed the chi

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by feather and mountain man, Jan 16, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Ahhh the days are shorter now and I find that it is often after dark before I finish with my chores. One evening we were all bustleing around the house, cooking and cleaning the kitchen. I asked my oldest son if he would not mind to run a bowlfull of scraps out to the chickens real quick. By the time he returned to the house I thought about it being dark outside and not having closed the chickens in there house yet. I asked my boy if he had closed them up? He replied no they all came out to eat when he emptied the scraps into their pan.

Since that night the chickens run out of their house afterdark when we walk out to close the coop door. Except when my husband goes out to close them up. So who got trained? the chickens?[​IMG]

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    The human is at the chicks peck and call.[​IMG]

3. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Mountain Man just read this and just said "I'm not trained. I just love you enough to put your chickens up at night."[​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It gets worse...just wait till they start chasing your vehicle when you leave or charge it when you return. Yup they are problem children...

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I used to always leave them food after dark "for morning" coz as you say, it gets dark early in the winter. They have figured out my tricks though, and now they come down every time I go out with a flashlight. Even if I don't bring snacks, they eat their pellets like they are starving or something [​IMG]

6. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    I just think it is so funny how when hubbie goes out they don't bother leaving there house. So now I have a good reason for having him go out in the dark! lol

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't feed mine after dark, and I also don't leave food out at night. Nothing 'good' is out and about eating at that time, and I think the rodents are getting plenty to eat on their own without me having to feed them too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by