Never give up! Never give up! Never give up THE SHIP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joebryant, Jul 4, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Had a broody hen with eleven eggs. She tossed out seven eggs over a two-week period. Then she abandoned the remaining four eggs a few days later. She was off of them all day. I had waited and waited for her to go back on them, but she even stopped acting broody. Since it had been a warm day, I thought, "Why not!", so I took them in the house and put them in an incubator that I was using to hatch some eggs for my son's friend who wants to have chickens for himself, his wife and his three-year-old son.

This broody hen's abandoned four eggs went through three days of lockdown at 60-70% humidity until the other eggs hatched, then three days back to 55% humidity, then the last three days, July 2, 3, and 4 (today), back to 66% humidity for their own lockdown.

This morning as of 4 A.M., TWO ARE PIPPING.
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    GOOD JOB!!!

Hoping for more.

Mother nature is very forgiving at times.
  3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
  4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    WOW! [​IMG]
  5. joebryant

Where are the life boats? Throw me a life preserver!
    Twelve hours and no change whatsoever, i.e., still only two pipped.
  6. joebryant

Sunday 7:30 A.M.
    As of this morning it had been more than 27 hours, and the two had not progressed any more than the original pip hole.
    Staring at 7:15 A.M. I began removing the shells and two-three membranes of BOTH eggs. I used nothing but my fingers, and it took me about five minutes to do both. I put the freed chicks back into the incubator. They both seem okay, but time will tell.

Also, there's a third egg that's zipping; hopefully, it'll be able to escape on its own.

I might try to remove the fourth egg's chick if nothing happens before tonight. I might be wrong, but I think they've outgrown the shell and can't get started zipping. That doesn't explain the fourth egg's doing nothing though.

ETA 7:42 A.M. I just now walked in and looked into the incubator. It looks like one has "pooed" out its insides. There's a lot of red, fleshy matter on its bottom. I bet it doesn't make it. What a mess!

ETA 7:50 A.M. Egg number three is zipping right along. I think the chick will have freed itself within the next hour, maybe sooner.

ETA 7:58 A.M. The chick that pooped out a red, gelatin mass that I just removed with a Kleenex, is up and about on its feet. Go figure.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. joebryant

8:40 A.M. The chick in egg three finished zipping, released itself, and is up and about. It's a splash bbs Orpington; the first two are blue.

I thought it best to help #4 immediately since it hadn't even pipped and considering the first two's problems. I tapped a small hole in the eggshell, and some yellow yolk oozed out. I cracked the egg, and it was an infertile one. I threw it away.

I called my son's friend, and he's coming this morning to get the three chicks.
  8. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Wow, what a rollercoaster ride !! Glad it turned out well !!
  9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Congrats Joe [​IMG]
    Surprised you didn't just candle the egg to determine that it was clear? Would have been nasty if it had exploded LOL!
  10. joebryant

Thanks, everyone, I was really surprised to get three out of four. In spite of high humidity those first two were unable to turn in the egg. I'll probably never figure that out; glad I peeled the entire shell/membranes off of them though because they'd've never freed themselves. Stranger still, why did the third one manage to zip... ?

TriciaHowe, that's something else that was strange. I DID candle that egg, and it was as dark inside as the other three. That's why I was floored when the yellow yolk seeped out of the small hole I made to start removing the shell for what I thought was a chick inside. Yeah, sure glad it didn't explode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by