1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never gonna start the coop with all this rain!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dawj, May 15, 2011.

1. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    I thought is was April showers.......It's may now where are the flowers? Every time i get a day off it rains. I hope mother nature stops the rain soon chicks are getting too big too fast.

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Our 10 day forecast is Rain, Rain, Thunderstorms, Rain... etc.

3. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    I've been drawing up some plans for my coop. What is the best height for heat lamp in winter (will be on thermostat set at 40-50' with a 75 watt bulb). I am in Central NH local stores say light and insulation is needed...do you think i'll need it? Buffs and SLW's.

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:There's a lot of info on here about heat lamps in the winter, and my opinion is you don't need it. I think it's dangerous and bad for the birds.

I do have an insulated coop, it stays about 10 to 30 degrees warmer than the outside even with the windows and vents open. I lost 1 bird this winter, and she fell off the roost and hit her head on the poop board so it was not due to weather. I had a very minimal amount of frostbite.

I even had a GLW hatch out 3 chicks out there when it was sub-zero and they all survived. Really.

Birds are well equipped to keep themselves warm. Make sure your roost is wide enough for them to cover their feet/toes (I use a 2x4 with the 4 end up) and you have plenty of litter on the floor for them to snuggle in.

I also fed black oil sunflower seeds twice daily to give them energy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by