Never had chickens before and just got some so I have some questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poofhair, May 14, 2008.

1. poofhair

poofhair Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Ok i am completly new to this, just got them yesterday but they are about 2-3 weeks old. Whats the best treats for them? I heard meal worms from reading around but is there any thing else? Mine also do freak out when i get near them so whats the best way to teach them to hang with me...holding food in my hand? I try that but they dont even come to me. Also is there suppose to be feeding times or just always keep food in with them? And i was looking at some pictures of bantam chickens(thats what i have btw) and didnt know if the male have hair on there feet and females dont? Im so anxious to find out because if it is a rooster i cant keep him and would feel guilty returning him. The other chicken is its buddy so its hard to separate them. [​IMG] Its gonna take alot of patients.

Here are some pics i just took. Look like a rooster or chicken?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/CosmoCougarRocks/DSC04262.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/CosmoCougarRocks/DSC04264.jpg

2. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    the pics of the wings are great...but for me to tell I need to see the head...the comb, waddles etc, and at this stage they should just becoming brighter redder...more pronounced than the females....fyi. Just keep trying with the treats....berries (rassberries blue=berries....CHEESE, yogurt, worms sunflower seeds...did I say CHEESE) My OG babes that were bought at a feedstore took aprox a month longer to adore and tousle over trests than the new spring brood of Ese N gracie's....my nickname for them is fuzzy piranhas...but throw the treats out a few inches to a foot infront of you to let them know what delectible trets are in your hand...they will pick it up eventually. Even after having these babes with voracious appetites, my original mom and dad are the pickiest and most suspect chickens you ever saw

3. poofhair

May 13, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    For good growth your chicks need to be on a chick starter/grower feed til they mature at around 17 weeks...they need feed set out 24/7 and fresh water daily....

Its too soon to tell if they are cockeral or pullets....

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    What cuties!!

Most people provide feed and water "free choice" (all the time available) and give "treats" occasionally. it is amazing how much baby chicks will eat!

Do they have a heat lamp keeping their temps right? I never raised bantams but they look a lottle younger than 3 weeks to me. anyway they're supposed to start out at 90-95 for week one, then decrease by 5 degrees per week, so by week 3 they should be at about 85 degrees. A red heat lamp works best to discourage them pecking at each other, which can also happen when they're overcrowded. How big is your gerbil cage? they grow fast and need more room than you'd think! Luckily most any container will work, including a big cardboard box with a screen or wire netting over it.

Just keep handling them and giving them treats, they will soon love you!

6. poofhair

May 13, 2008
    Yes i have a lamp that gets pretty hot. they seem like its ok temp because they lay under the light spred out and dont cuddle in corners or run to the shade. All i know on there age is what the store who sold them told us. The gerbil cage is 20" long, 10" wide and 12" tall...will it work for a while? I hope they will get used to me.

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have new chicks that are only days old but they are with their mother hen so it is a lot different than raising in a brooder.

I feed mine chick starter and occasionally will give them sunflower seeds as they get a little older. When I feed them they act like it is a big treat! I give the adult birds the sunflower seeds also and they love them.

8. poofhair

May 13, 2008
    My biggest fear is the chicken will always be scared of me. I put food in with them but only one comes up to me the other wont get the food untill after i leave. Is this normal and will they get used to me?

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know about your little dark chick. But the golden and black one looks just like my little Mille Fleur D'uccle Roxie (who is a pullet)

Here's her pic.....

[​IMG]

The feathers on the legs have nothing to do with their sex... it is just whether they are a feather or clean-footed variety. It certainly helps to narrow down a breed.

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    By the way...... mine act like idiots sometimes until I actually pick them up and bring them out. Roxie is the tamest and she lets me just slip my hand under her and lift her out... but Charlie (my Silkie) is an idiot and flaps and has a ruckous until he's out and held close. Once I sit them on my lap, they snuggle in and go to sleep [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by