1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never had chickens, plz tell me this will work for now

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sinistershelly, Jul 17, 2011.

1. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Im new to this and my father inlaw ordered 15 baby barred Plymouth rocks. so I bought and built expecting to receive 5 of them. As it turns out, they sent him 18 instead and is now planning on giving us 9. Im freaking out worried there wont be enough space for them when they can go outside. Im working off of very lil money so maybe you guys can help me figure out what to do. This is what I have so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not sure if that link worked, if not, its a dog house sitting on cinder blocks. the house is 42x36. I put in 2 homemade nest boxes and a roost about 36in across. Will I need more room for them when its time for them to go outside?

2. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    are they chicks or larger chickens? 9 baby chicks should fit in the dog house, but won't need nest boxes til 15 weeks or so. The roost wont be needed for a while either. But if they are large then the house is only big enough for 3 full size chickens, based on 4 sq ft per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by