Never heard of such!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roosty, Mar 25, 2009.

1. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    I was just told that...and Ill qoute
    Well actually the baby starts growing when the egg is first made in the hen at 114 degrees . It just looks like a white spot, or blood spot. Then after 2 days of incubation the is the first sign of a chick embroy

What the?!! NO it dont. I mean all of us that eat fertilized eggs would be eating little baby chicks then! And a blood spot has nothing to do with fertility.! Am I wrong?? The egg does not have a chick in it till it is incubated by hen or human(incubator)!​

2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I'm with you. The blood in an egg is usually from the hen during the production of the egg... I eat fertilized eggs all the time [​IMG]

edited for bad spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Well I don't know about blood spots and all that but it seems like if you had a rooster that the egg would be fertile, so techincally that would be a chick in the making but the hen would encourage the growth by sitting on it and keeping in warm right? There is a thread on her somewhere that has pictures of fertilized eggs and none fertalized eggs with the white spots. But too me it makes sense.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The chick does not start growing when the egg is first made. The fertilized ovum is in the egg. The chick will not begin to develop until natural or artificial incubation begins. At that point it takes 24 - 36 hours for the cell divisions to begin.

Blood spots are a ruptured capillary or vessel in the reproductive tract during the formation of the egg.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Blood spots do not indicate that an egg is fertile. It sometime occurs when the egg is produced. Look for a white bulleye on the yolk to determine if egg is fertile.

6. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Okay, now I am totally confused.

If you have a rooster, and eat the eggs are you eating a fertilized egg?

How do you know?

And I thought I was joining this forum to be less confused. [​IMG]

7. roosty

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Thank you. No chick till incubation [​IMG]

stormylady
    Today 9:12 am Well I don't know about blood spots and all that but it seems like if you had a rooster that the egg would be fertile, so techincally that would be a chick in the making but the hen would encourage the growth by sitting on it and keeping in warm right? There is a thread on her somewhere that has pictures of fertilized eggs and none fertalized eggs with the white spots. But too me it makes sense.

It is just a fertilized egg till it is incubated. A fertilized egg is not a chick in the making...An incubated egg is a chick in the making. A fertilized egg just means that if incubated it can form a chick but it has to be incubated in order to do so... There is absolutly no way there can be a chick already forming as soon as it comes out of the hen.​

8. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois

stormylady
    Today 9:12 am Well I don't know about blood spots and all that but it seems like if you had a rooster that the egg would be fertile, so techincally that would be a chick in the making but the hen would encourage the growth by sitting on it and keeping in warm right? There is a thread on her somewhere that has pictures of fertilized eggs and none fertalized eggs with the white spots. But too me it makes sense.

It is just a fertilized egg till it is incubated. A fertilized egg is not a chick in the making...An incubated egg is a chick in the making. A fertilized egg just means that if incubated it can form a chick but it has to be incubated in order to do so... There is absolutly no way there can be a chick already forming as soon as it comes out of the hen.​

Yes I understand that .didn't mean to imply that there was a chick in the stage of developement that could be considered a chick, What I meant to say and did say but probably misspoke it, was that a fertilized egg will be encouraged to grow when it is incubated by the hen or bator, If the egg is not fertalized before the egg is laid there will be NO chick period. Sorry

9. roosty

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia

stormylady

Yes I understand that .didn't mean to imply that there was a chick in the stage of developement that could be considered a chick, What I meant to say and did say but probably misspoke it, was that a fertilized egg will be encouraged to grow when it is incubated by the hen or bator, If the egg is not fertalized before the egg is laid there will be NO chick period. Sorry

I guess I didnt understand what you meant. Sorry to you too [​IMG]

10. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    :)Thanks and sorry for the confusion.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by