Never laid in new home and had mites/lice...

ccstar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Gilroy, CA
So I adopted 3 chickens a month ago. Two are "easy peasy" as my daughter says. The chicken they dictated as mine has never laid for us and was a bit picked on by the rooster in her previous home. She's about 11 months. Not broody although she likes to sleep at night in the best box. They are on organic feed and organic scratch. They roam our backyard throughout the day. When I finally handled her I found out she had mites/lice. I've treated all the chickens twice, once each week for two weeks now. They love their dust baths, have access to ground shells, wood ash and extra protein.
Do you think she will ever lay? Do I just need to be more patient? Is there anything else I should do?

Anyone? Could she just be our dedicated "bring your pet to school" chicken or is there any chance I can do something to help her to lay an occasional egg?

Give her some more time. Maybe she is still a little stressed from being in a new home and the mites/lice. My sister-in-law has a 1 1/2 year old hen who has never laid an egg but they love her just the same as all the others. Do you know if she was laying eggs in her old home?

Sadly I don't know if she was laying in her previous home. She is a good cuddle bug though and very patient. I may need to get another chicken of the same age to help us have enough eggs but she is our pet and this is her home laying or not.
That said, she entertained the second graders today for a few minutes of show and tell. I didn't even hold her, she just sat in my lap and enjoyed each child giving her a gentle pat. Such a good girl!

Back
Top Bottom