Never Leave a Delaware Youngster Bored and Unsupervised , LOL

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 3, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The nine Delaware youngsters, who are nine weeks old now, have been shut in for two days due to constant downpours. The little heathens completely dismantled their feeder yesterday. I heard DH grumbling loudly on the baby monitor in the Delaware coop and I ran out to see what on earth they could have done that made him so mad. They somehow took their feeder apart--it's one of those plastic hanging ones with the red base, dividers and a spring loaded wingnut on top. It was in pieces with feed all over the floor, 3 ft from where it used to be hanging, LOL. And, the little goofs were apparently bored and are playing in the nestboxes. We had to block them off. Today, since the nests are really a slide-in shelf with dividers, we removed the entire unit and will replace them when the little goobers are closer to laying age. Never let a Delaware be bored and unsupervised!They are a bit too smart for their own good, this bunch. Two of the cockerels are crowing already and grabbing the girls. [​IMG] They have such personality, these little brats. [​IMG]
    And if you would like to experience the joy, one cockerel and pullet are up for sale. [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have a little bitty mixed-breed cockerel about the same age who would fit right in! What address should I put on the shipping box? [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have a feeder like that. It actually sits on the ground most of the time. Anytime they empty it, they spin the top around until the nut pops off. Of course, they've managed to lose the spring that used to live under the nut, so no more popping.

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    a baby moniter? what do you mean? you have a baby moniter in your coop to listen to the chickens? hhaaaha [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Actually, if you have predators or any type of reoccuring predator problem, a baby monitor sounds brilliant.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I'm taking it that if you can run out to see what's going on in the chicken realm, your ankle must be somewhere in the "nearly to completely" healed range. So glad to hear it! [​IMG] BTW, if you're traveling on I 24, you can drop that Delaware pair off at exit 11 ... [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

I have a baby monitor in the main layers coop as well as one in the breeders coop, which houses the Blue Orps and the Delawares. It's quite eye opening to have those and hear all the odd sounds chickens make when you aren't there.

As for my ankle, it is much better, though I use the term "running" loosely these days. It's more like clomping like Festus in Gunsmoke. No plans to drive I-24 anytime soon, though, LOL.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:[​IMG] guess I can stop rubbing my little hands together in anticipation.... [​IMG] but I luvs ya anyway... [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    The little heathens completely dismantled their feeder yesterday.

i wondered if they got the directions on how to do that. i sent them a week ago....[​IMG]

that is completely hilarious. more than hilarious actually! my husband would have been non-to-thrilled either methinks!​

10. speckledhen

Well, ya know, that road goes both directions! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by