Never Leave plants in garden ^^

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Axle Quails, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    My chicken and duck thought they could eat my plants i had in pots

They never touched them. now they do :S

All im left with is stems haha

2. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I feel your plant pain, my 5 wk old guineas just discovered my ornamental sweet potato plant, or what was my sweet potato plant. [​IMG]

3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Longs im not the only one [​IMG]

4. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I let my chickens in the garden with the thought that they would eat the bugs. Seems they preferred red tomatoes, then green tomatoes, then tomato blossoms, then chard, then kohlrabi, then green beens, and finally caught them eating my JALAPENO plants! Wonder if I'll have spicy eggs![​IMG]

I only let them in one time and now they just casually hop the little barrier fence in and out at will. (I even clipped their wings hoping to slow them down). The funny thing is they are out in the yard all day with only a 4 foot fence and the don't hop that one, just the fence to the garden.

Next year I think I'm planting flowers!

5. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

I put up 8'-tall walls of deer netting around my garden this year to protect it from the chickens. And I had some protecting my planters of strawberries too, but the girls broke in and ate up all of the strawberry plants, down to the roots! Then yesterday I decided I would transplant some bell peppers in that same planter, knowing that they don't like bell peppers. Yeah, maybe not, but the girls have CLAIMED this planter for their dirt bathing, so they pulled off the deer netting, dug up the bell peppers & threw them out of the planter! Crazy chickens!!! Whose yard is this anyway???
    [​IMG]

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Our chickens eat everything they can in the garden including melons, tomatoes, berries, squash, etc.

7. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who naively thought that all they would eat in the garden was the bugs. I've ended up with one sacrifice row of tomatoes, the rest netted like Ft. Knox. The chickens aren't interested in consolation prizes and have minimal regard for the fence around the other tomato plants. At least with the fence I can stay half a step ahead.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by