never mind. jersey giant roo has died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peacebird, May 3, 2009.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    The giant is much bigger, but has no spurs yet. Mario is three and has one spur. Apparently they had a huge fight yesterday and the giant got the worst of it by far.
    He has lost his comb and most feathers near it. His back has lost some feathers. He looks pretty rough. We have moved him into the greenhouse, with fresh water, food, etc. He let my son pick him up to carry him into the greenhouse, and he let me give him some hardboiled egg. normally he is a very skittish roo. Huge, but very skittish. He can stand up and move around, tho he is not doing much of that. What should I do for him? he can live in the greenhouse and hubby is already planning to build a second run/coop to split the roo's since apparently they can't figure out how to get along together (It isn't crowding either - the coop is about 30' by 7' for 5 banties, 4 regular hens and two roos... PLUS a huge outdoors run. And they are let out for about 3 hours a day to free range....) sheesh. The giant is a pitiful sight....

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    [​IMG] Sorry he didn't make it.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear you lost your JG roo

4. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thats so sad. I'm sorry!

5. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    thanks everyone... i guess i thought they would figure it out. The giant has been with us since "she" was a peep. After about six months we realized that "she" was a "he", but thought that we had enough room for two roos to co-exist. Especially since Mario had always been very peaceful and the giant was such a scaredy-cat-roo....
    sigh. I thought that their little "fights" -which consisted of Mario chasing the giant across the yard - would settle out the pecking order as easily as it always did with new hens. Boy was I wrong. Poor giant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by