Never ordered chicks online before... Help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by JBLover, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JBLover

JBLover New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    The hen house
    The chickens I have came from a relative, I have never ordered online before, I need help finding a place that sells Japanese Bantams that doesn't require I buy 25 birds, I don't have enough room or money to order and pay for that many. Anyone who has ordered from mypetchicken, Please please relay your experience with them. I am considering them over others because they have all the colors of JB's I want and I can afford to buy 10 chicks from them, which is the maximum I can buy (cost of birds+shippingpack+shippingcost=66 dollars, pretty much my max budget right now for chickens) I would be more than happy to buy much less birds than that (3-5), but mypetchicken requires a person who lives in a rural area like me to buy at least 8 normal breeds and at least 10 bantams. so please help me, thank you.

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    You can come out Cheaper at Ideal. They do not have a minimum chick order of 25, they just ask you spend $20! So 10 chicks would do from them [​IMG] Sorry, I have no experience with my pet chicken. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck! I think Ordering online is a neat experience.

3. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered five chicks from MPC. They were shipped Monday and arrived Wednesday morning, quite lively and peeping peeping peeping! [​IMG]
    The chicks were in excellent health... no problems at all.

Though MPC advertises shipping as few as three chicks, it depends on how close you are to the delivery post office. I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles, so the chicks came very quickly. If you live in a rural area, it may take another day. The company needs to be sure the chicks will stay warm, hence the more chicks necessary.

I'd order from My Pet Chicken again and recommend them.

Carla

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I agree with Lanissa86. Ideal has beautiful birds. They don't require you to buy more than $20 worth. They do have some extra charges for small order boxs. All the chicks i've ordered from them have arrived live and healthy. Sorry no contact with My Pet Chicken. Surely someone knows about them.....

5. JBLover

JBLover New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    The hen house
    That's what I was afraid of, I was reading other people's threads and it seems not many people really order from them, their website gives the air that I like, chickens as pets, since that's what I want, but I didn't know how reliable they really were. I will check out ideal right quick and see what my final cost comes too there, anything under 60 would be awesome. See the reason I have such a small budget is the 60 dollars is my birthday gift from my parents (I still live with them) they said I could have new chickens (my current ones are getting old, they are 6 years old) but they weren't buying them, only the food and helping me build the new coop for them. I am really excited too, because I've wanted JB's for a long time, ever since I first got my two chickens when I was just researching how to care for them better and came across JB's I fell in love at first sight they are so cute.

6. imcaligal

imcaligal New Egg

Mar 18, 2008
    North Tustin
    Hi! I ordered my five girls from My Pet Chicken a month ago and everything turned out perfect. I live in California and they arrived the day after they shipped them. I just lost one of them tonight from a hawk (who pulled her head off from inside a cage!). I am totally upset! I would like to replace her (Blue Cochin) with another one, but the minimum you can purchase is three (I live near a major city). I just need to talk my DH in letting me have three more! I will definately purchase from them again. Good Luck :)
    -Jenna

7. JBLover

JBLover New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    The hen house
    aw man... They don't have ANY Japanese bantams available until next year... that's a LOOOOONG time to wait while I have 66 dollars just sitting in a piggy bank... I don't know what I am going to do. That stinks.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  8. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jenna ~

I'm sorry to hear about your Cochin... your situation sounds like mine. Five chicks four weeks old, and we have a Blue Cochin. We also have lots of hawks around Pasadena, along with other predators. [​IMG]

Hope your husband takes pity and lets you order a few more chicks. [​IMG]

Carla

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Hi JB,

Where are you located and what color Japs are you looking for? Maybe someone on here has a few to sell, and lives close to you! That would be much cheaper and probably nicer birds!

10. JBLover

JBLover New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    The hen house
    I live in central/eastern kentucky and I am pretty much looking for any color of them, but my favorites are the all black, the all whites and the black tailed whites, I think a mix of them would be so pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by