Never raised chickens before

lisalarremore

Hatching
Feb 16, 2016
I'm interested in raising chickens in my backyard. I live in the country but I'm afraid of all the predators. Will they make it? What type of chickens are best for beginners? I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I invest.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Be sure and build your coop like Fort Know and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are just too many predators that can tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. Generally I would recommend that beginners do with one of the hardy breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets) such as Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, Cochins, Silkies, or Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list and Silkies and Cochins are the poorest layers (although they are the best brooders and mothers). If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Your chicken will probably be fine. I live in the woods and they are almost always safe. Just make sure you lock them up at night! :)

You have some good advice already, so I'll just say a big hello and welcome to BYC!

All the best
CT

If you worry about predators, keep your chickens in a secure fenced run with top rather than let them free range. Check out the coops and predator sections for information on building a Fort Knox of coop and run.

welcome-byc.gif

If you're concerned about the predators, then free ranging might not be the best option for you. Your birds will be fine with a large, covered secure run for their outdoor time. Another option may be a chicken tractor that you can move around the yard so they are protected but still foraging.

Good luck, thanks for joining us!

frow.gif
Worried about predators? Do your research and build the best coop and pen within your financial means.

Back
Top Bottom