Never raised ducks and they will be hatching in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by McGoo, Mar 22, 2017.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've raised chickens before, but we are planning on raising some chicks, ducks and turkeys. There won't be many of each, so I'm concerned about the differences and want to be sure they are all safe and getting what they need.
    I spoke with an expert related to feed and now know that wet mash is best for the ducks...with a little niacin, but I don't know what else I need to be aware of... I do know that the ducklings will want to swim and that chicks will easily drown...
    Appreciate any help. Thanks all!

Colleen

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

Here ya go! I would scroll down and read Raising and Caring for Ducklings, lots of good advice there. What breeds are you getting, and how many? Ducklings can drown too, because they A) get trapped, or B) get too cold. Many people put rocks or marbles in their waterer, to discourage ducklings from swimming unsupervised. Hope this helps! Just ask if you have any other questions (Though I'm afarid that I'll only be helpful in regards to ducks..).

3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
  4. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Feed your flock Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles designed for chickens, ducks, and turkeys with plenty of Niacin so you won't have to add any. Mash it if you want but this is the best stuff and you only have to buy one feed type for all your poultry!! Highly recommend it, it's what I use for my ducks and chickens. Most people on here use it and it is amazing. Otherwise you have 3 different feeds and that gets pricey and annoying.

I sound like a commercial...

Don't buy separate duck, chicken, and turkey feed! Come on over to Tractor Supply and try Flock Raiser by Purina, TODAY!!

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I agree. Flock raiser crumbles are what we use too.

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all for advice. This will really help. Does Purina carry an organic version of this starter? I know a lot of people don't care about it, but i really do. I will save my pennies and travel far for pesticide free local grain.
    Colleen

7. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Yeah they do.
    [​IMG]

8. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Scratch grains are very different from starter feed... i dont know if maybe you put up the wrong pic. But dont want to get that confused with starter crumble.
    Scratch grains are to be used as treats. Not a main diet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Oh oops! That's not the pic I meant to screenshot! Hold on let me find it again

10. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yes there is organic starter feed tho. Im not sure i have ever seen organic all flock feed . Not at my stores anyway. Prob could order it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by