Never say never

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SurprisingWoman, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Songster

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Living in a suburb I really didn't expect predators to be a problem, other than the occasional stray cat. I was soooo wrong.

Luckily this guy started draining my hummingbird feeder, alerting me to his presence before the girls got old enough to go in their coop and run.

[​IMG]

Animal control is coming to get him any time now.

2. spuetz07

spuetz07 In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Cochrane, WI
    Just remember, where theres one, theres usually more. Good job trapping him!!

3. doxpeople

doxpeople In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Did the coon do all that damage to the tarp while trapped?

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Songster

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Thanks! I was just so glad he drained the feeder or he could have gotten my girls. I will be getting some Golden Malrin (and some other things for my chicken first aid kit as a just in case) the next time I go to the feed store. I will put the trap out sometime and also the Golden Malrin, just to be sure.

He did shred the tarp while he was in there. He was pretty PO'd. I have a video where he growls and things. Mean little monster.

5. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    How will you kill it?

6. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Unfortunately, raccoons are a big problem in and around cities. Perhaps more so than in the country. They are very intelligent and learn quickly that people = an easy meal. They will also rapidly lose their fear of humans, which will make them an even bigger menace and pest. Glad you caught him!

7. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Songster

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I called animal control, to see if they would kill it for me and they will not only kill it for me but they are coming to pick it up from my backyard. I don't have to do anything but smile.

Beautiful!

[​IMG]

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Remember, it is very easy to kill unintended animals with strong poisons like Malrin. It is also a Federal offense to use Malrin for anything besides fly control.

I'm glad animal control is going to help you out!

9. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    The problem is they will go around the corner and let it loose. Next time you might want to do the deed your self. you could submerge the trap under water and come back in 10 min. Problem solved. It may sound harsh but better him than your chickens.

10. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Songster

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    They don't do that in Utah, this one will be given a humane execution with some drugs.

Otherwise I would have had to think of something else. I don't know what I would have done to be honest.

He is a mean little beast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: