1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never See Flock Now

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Dec 3, 2014.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    :(

Sun rises here about 7 -- I leave for work @ 6:15 am. Sun sets @ 5:15 -- hens are in the coop by 4:15 and I get home around 4:30-5:00.

What do you do? I go out occasionally to be sure they're all in the coop, check the water and put out feed for the next day. But I'm sad not to give them treats except on the weekends.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    a few more days, and the days will be getting longer, but I know what you mean. I just see mine in the morning.

Mrs K

3. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave for work while it's still dark on most days. I have to scrape their poop board before I leave, so it's lights on in the coop. Once I get through, I usually give them a treat, cabbage, scraps or some fruit. When I'm finished, I turn the light off and head to work. We have a security light out close to the coop. so they have a little bit of light to see. I just make sure everyone is on the ground before I flip the lights off.

I usually get home around 5pm, so have about 15-20 min to gather the eggs and give them a bit of scratch. I will be glad when the days lengthen. I don't like this time change one bit.

4. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    i to have to collect some frozen eggs as 4 days a week i work late..its funny when there not cracked from being froze and the yolk stands full when you put them in the pan. i just scramble those for dogs and birds...i suppose you could eat them..now the cracked ones i know are froze but sometimes there not cracked...cold days now i only get one or two but nic days i get 6-7 from my 13 hens and have 3 roosters also..jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by