Never seem to grow chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twix1234, Sep 11, 2010.

1. twix1234

twix1234 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    I have this chick for 5 weeks and it doesn't seem to grow that much. He has grown long frizzle feathers on his wings but that all. At first I thought he is frizzle cochin but no new frizzle feather coming out so far. I want to put him in the coop already but I have to wait till he adult feather coming out. I think that going to be a long wait. Can someone tell me what he is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I know some of my bantams and frizzles seem to take forever to feather out!

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have a failed to thrive chick on your hands there. [​IMG]

However, it's probably just a very slow featherer... If that's a word!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    One of my RIR/BA chicks featherd out very slowly too. He (it was a boy) caught up eventually but it took about twice as long for him to feather out compared to his siblings. I still don't know why, I guess some chicks are just like that.

ETA: aggieterpkatie, I LOVE your tag line!! I do foster for the local shelter and really wish everyone would get with the program!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. twix1234

Jun 2, 2010
    Is it possible that his parents are both frizzle? His frizzle wing feathers are long and some came off.

6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Where did you get it? Five weeks?? Really?? It does look very small compared to its head size.
    There may be something seriously wrong with it that it is not growing. What are you feeding it????

7. That chick is small. I would just be patient. Sometimes chicks develop slower than the other. For and example, I have a 20 week old Red sex link that is still half the size of all the others but is still noticeably growing.

8. twix1234

Jun 2, 2010
    Quote:I got it from a feeder store . You are right about the head size, that seem to grow faster than the body. He is 5 weeks...I am not wrong about that. I am feeding him medicated chick feeder. I don't know what to do if he is not growing.

9. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Just keep doing what you are doing. My only frizzle cochin took FOREVER to feather out, he is 3 months and still is not fully feathered! However, he is very active, lively and keeps up well with other chicks his age. Some chickies take extra time and love, and as long as he looks happy enjoy him!

10. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I've often heard it said that roosters sometimes feather out slower than pullets. I don't know why that would be, but it seems to hold true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by