never seen this before..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandypaws, Nov 12, 2008.

1. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    hi i am new here.. but not new to owning chickens...
    i have several breeds in several pens..
    this is the first time i have owned OEG (standard size) i have one rooster 5 hens and 3 blue andlusian hens in one pen.. they are all young aprox 5 months old and a few hens have started to lay everything is good and normal,,,, EXCEPT these chickens go after the little wild sparrows.. even if the sparrow is perched on the fence ..these chickens will JUMP UP to try to get the little birds.. i have never seen this before..
    is it some thing in the breed??? right now the OEG rooster is non-agressive.. he was in with another rooster untill last week when i started to seperate them.. not one fight, but i figured i had to do the seperating soon before there was a fight..
    anyway,, just suprised to see chickens attacking the little perching birds,, they seem to do it mostly at night

2. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    All my Hens will chase ANY bird that lands within there site.

I was thinking the same thing this is very odd they even chase the Sand Hill Cranes IF they get too close to there coup, and you know how Big they are they have no fear at all of them or any bird for that matter but they get very mad when anything lands near them.
    And the chase is on.....

3. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    I have 3 BRs (2 hens 1 roo) and 3 EEs and they go after anything that moves. They are in a fenced in run so they can't chase for long but if a bird flies in they go after it. I have witnessed them chasing a finch, a humming bird and chipmunks(the chipmunk doesn't go in the run but runs along the outside ). It is funny to watch they seem to hunt in a pack like wolves. They have yet to catch anything(that I know of).

These are my first chickens so I just assumed they all did this.

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    mine freak and run inside [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My chickens love to chase birds too. The robins come down and tease them I swear. Very entertaining! [​IMG]

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine chase rabbits. [​IMG]

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I could not believe what I saw today. We have a wire covered run for the 6 month old brahmas. There was a cat on top and the hens were trying to get at it. When he came down they ran at the wire, and pecked at him. The cat is a kitten. I think they would have attacked him. They must be more territorial than I thought. LOL Jean

8. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I had a bunch of bird feeders hanging in my backyard. BEFORE I had chickens there would always be lots of wild birds on the ground underneath the feeders. Once the chickens took over, however, the new rule was that the wild birds could perch on the feeders and throw food down to the chickens below, but none were allowed to land anywhere in the yard.

Trespassers were immediately mobbed by a the angry chicken herd. [​IMG]

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    dont want to show my age here.. hahahahh:(
    but i have been around chickens for about 32 years.. and this is the FIRST time i have seen chickens chase birds with INTENT.. what would they do if they CAUGHT the birds??? kill and eat them???
    ggeezzz vicious OEGs!!!!

10. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I WISH my chickens would chase small birds away!!!! The small ones eat more than the ones I am trying to feed And I have OEGs [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by