1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

never seen this before...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeperchick, Dec 31, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Hi all & happy new year! so it's been a month since my flock started laying and I noticed one of my black stars hopped out of her nesting box and started picking up straw and loose feathers from the ground and was trying to place them on her own back. I'm amused and curious on why she's doing this....any ideas? She's about 30 weeks old.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's a broody behavior, I believe. In nature they try to camoflage themselves as they sit on their nest.

3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM

lol, she's gonna have to work harder to camouflage herself! Thanks, isn't she a little young to go broody?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unless she is staying in the nest essentially 24/7, growling at you when you approach, flattening herself out if placed on the coop floor, etc., she hasn't actually gone broody. Think of it as toying with the idea. It's a hormonal change. Yes, she's a bit young, but it does occasionally happen that they go broody not long after beginning to lay. She may turn out to be one that goes broody regularly, come spring.

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    I have severl RedStars that have done that since they starting laying. They will lay an egg and then for the next 10 minutes or so begin to place bits of straw over there back and then leave the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by