Never seen this happen on my egg?!

colette peters

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
Fairfax, California
Any idea what may have been happening during egg production? Something I should be aware of? :idunno I thought to much calcium.

The hen is a 7 month old Delaware and seems to be very happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 9D0CFB59-5C84-4A0D-94A0-039C93E5037C.jpeg
    9D0CFB59-5C84-4A0D-94A0-039C93E5037C.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 39CA3C64-AB8E-4EFD-B9FC-9D08BAB89B57.jpeg
    39CA3C64-AB8E-4EFD-B9FC-9D08BAB89B57.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 62
She may just be working out the kinks in her egg production. I had a few early ones that were crazy looking like that and it sorted itself out as they got going with more production.
Maybe it’s a new hen laying? I could be wrong on who I thought layed that strange egg. Do you think it’s ok to eat?

I do have 8 7month old and 4 that have not started laying which is kind of alarming to me. I thought by now they should all be laying :idunno

Last edited:
Any idea what may have been happening during egg production? Something I should be aware of? :idunno I thought to much calcium.

The hen is a 7 month old Delaware and seems to be very happy and healthy.
The guy in the paint booth is still new on the job; not getting even coverage yet. He'll learn.

Probably just a glitch, can happen at any time.
Looks like excessive, and smeared on the way out, bloom.
Does it wash off?
Is it 'crusty'?

Here's my 'speckles spiel':
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom