Never seen this in an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jynuine, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    [​IMG]
    That stone looking thing was in one of our eggs. I was checking for fertility and that came with the egg and a small blood spot.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    was it fresh, ? could it be a double yolker and one twin was somehow petrified , ive seen petrified puppys when delivering dogs?????? hmmm dont know

3. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    Yep fresh from this morning- just layed. It definitely looked like a round ball of tissue of some sort...

4. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    But you would think- what causes the petrification is calcification, right? It's an autoimmune response from the body to protect itself from the object. I know my husband got a thorn in his palm he couldnt get out, as a boy. It would fester now and then but they could never find it. One day his palm literally opened up and out came a pearl. Literally his body calcified it.

This is inside of an egg, So Im not sure what would cause that?

I did find this http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/s...o-strange-ball-like-object-found-in-fresh-egg but no answers.

I wonder if it's a sort of 'lash' inside the egg instead of out? I mean- that is far fetched but it looks like that sort of tissue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just a chunk of tissue probably, happens once in a while...did you probe it to see if it was hard or soft?

6. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    all i can think is like you say , you know how the body encapsulates an infection like a thorn, mabey the egg did it to dont know, ????? wish we di know wow its strange,

1 person likes this.
  7. CB3fish

CB3fish Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Hi, The stone like item is calcium like which makes up the shell and for some unknown reason ended up in the egg. The blood is sometimes in eggs, on our farm my mother would discover it and not use that egg; but it is normal and nothing to be concerned about. I have found it in mine as well. Hope this helps.

8. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by