never started laying? bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by britt86, Mar 28, 2015.

1. britt86

britt86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Ok so I got 3 mille fleur d'uccle bantams last year about a week from Easter. They turns out I got one roo and two hens they are clearly one roo and two hens but I have yet to see an egg? MyEE lays one a day med sized green egg but no tiny eggs? I thought maybe by the time they could make eggs it was already close to winter and they just never started.they are very clean well feathered I feed them layer crumbles all they can eat all day everyday fresh water and clean coop.i also give them fresh clovers to pick at only about 2 handfuls now and then.they are almost a year old what's going on? Are the days not long enough yet? Should I feed something extra I don't want to add extra light bc there is no power available that far from my house. They seam happy and healthy? Plz plz help!

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Quote: Some chickens just take a bit longer. I've had one that didn't lay for her first year. There is one thing that I'd think would be worth looking into, though. You may have an egg eater. Check the egg boxes frequently to see if you can catch the bantams going in to lay. Put some fresh bedding in the boxes so it would be clearer if there had been some liquid from a cracked egg. In the mean time, try to be more patient. Bantams aren't usually great layers and they may just a bit more protein in their diet. Try some bugs and grubs for them

3. britt86

Mar 28, 2015
    I have searched for evidence off egg eating I haven't found anything bc I get a regular egg a day from the EE I would think I would be missing one of those too.i thought about the protein needing to be uped too. I have some soy protein pure no flavor or colors added it's just too gritty for me to use myself wondering if it would be ok to add a little into their food being I'm not going to use it for myself and don't want it going into the trash.

4. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Not really sure of any real benefits of soy for chickens. It really isn't that great from what I remember of it; actually it isn't really safe for people, either. To even be safe for chickens, it has to be roasted or cooked before giving it to them. I'd suggest the mealworms or some crickets. That or other greens that can boost some various nutrients like peas, spinach, kale, broccoli and such.

5. britt86

Mar 28, 2015
    Ok I'll see if I can find some grubs or something not sure where to look I'm in indiana and it's too cold yet for wild ones and I have no pet stores for crickets around I have a rural king and tractor supply do they carry sonething?

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Pet stores sell crickets for other critters and you can get meal worms at the feed store as well as the pet store. If you are near where anyone goes fishing, you can get some nightcrawlers or fishing worms and they'd be just as good.

7. britt86

Mar 28, 2015
    Well I had some leftover chicken and Brussels chickens ate the crap out of it! The bantams combs are red as blood shouldn't be too much longer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by