Never though I would have to rite about my own dog in the pest section

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
Last night my dog got out and mauled 2 of my muscovys....possibly 3. So done with her.....
hit.gif
I have never even taken a dog to the pound or given one away, I feel that pets are for life but this is the last straw! Despite extensive, daily training she continues to go after my animals. She actually went through my window last night to get out and get them! I cant really afford electric fence and with the size of my runs it is not really possible....not that it would help anyways...this is the dog then went through a very strong, high voltage fence last year to chase some cows....So long Roxy...

no offense but who have you had longer? Dog or chickens/ducks? If the dog came first - your responsibility and care should extend to the dog first not the birds.

You should also try to find her a home yourself first before just dumping her at the pound - if she's an adult dog you're signing her death certificate since shelters are so overcrowded and the PTS # is outrageously high with the economy.
sad.png
I just feel sorry for the dog - I mean I am sorry for the loss, but I have a high prey drive shepherd/chow mix and a pit/lab mix both were easily trained to stop chasing the chickens, now they let the chickens and the guineas (who they really used to dislike mroe and want to EAT) out of their food bowls...If I could get my psychotic shepherd/chow to behave with chickens including tiny young silkies - (She is a big killer of small fuzzies - so silkies are her biggest temptation to want to kill - the big layers of my neighbor she just likes to chase) - but she hasn't.

hmm.png
But I mean I dunno - its your dog, your chickens, your choice do what you feel you got to do.

Ahh, I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I understand your frustration. Some dogs are very headstrong and need extensive daily training. THey need reminded daily who is the pack leader. I have one of those and have really considered giving him away. He is a hunting dog. He was a drop off, so I didn't know he was ahunting lab until the vet told me. He has mauled a kitten that got into our fenced yard. If someone could give him a good home I'd let them take him now. Lots of time and effort to train that I just don't really have. I feel so bad for you. Maybe he will get a great home that can take the time he needs. I guess I am different here, but I think it's very responsible to get rid of a dog you feel is not trainable or you can't control well, instead of keeping him and he becomes a possible problem for your neighbors. So sorry for your loss.

Quote:
I thought if you didn't agree with the OP you just should not comment. She is already feeling bad enough. No offense intended, but she may just be frustrated right now. They posted for some support, not criticism.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, I really don't think ScaredOfShadows needed to say this. Making a decision about your animals is a personal decision, and it does NOT need to be based on "seniority". The OP obviously has tried very hard to break this dog of this habit, and it's not working. Just because some dogs are able to be trained to leave chickens alone does not mean ALL dogs can.

I commend the OP for having the intestinal fortitude to do as much as she could and still make a tough decision.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I thought if you didn't agree with the OP you just should not comment. She is already feeling bad enough. No offense intended, but she may just be frustrated right now.

So sorry BuffOrp. What a horrible choice to have to make. If Roxy is so prey driven to go to electric fences to chase cows you are going to have be very careful relocating her - inner city perhaps?

Here's another thought maybe worth considering as you seem to be trying to do your best for her. Check out the possibility of treat Roxy homeopathically. A good place to start is http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ClassicalHomeopathyPets/
Homeopathy
balances the life forces and for a dog to be so crazed as to go through electric fences and isn't responsive to training is most definately out of wack somewhere. It isn't terribly expensive and I know of great results with seemingly impossible cases.

Hugs and empathy for whatever you decide.
hmm.png

bufforp89; you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure you are mature enough to make the decisions about what will make your life run more smoothly. Its OK to get rid of an animal that you cannot control. I feel that it is more of an obligation...

Oh, I forgot to add that with that link click on the files section upper left and read "common but not normal symptoms". One of the symptoms is obsessive prey drive. You may have to join the group to access it but that doesn't cost anything and their is a lot of info there.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry if I seemed mean, harsh, or disrespectful.
smack.gif
smack.gif
>> to me. Sorry.

True - if you've spent alot of time - months and money to try and retrain the dog and nothing is working - by all means get rid of the dog. If the dog is aggressive to people it needs to be PTS, if its aggressive or mean to other animals that aren't poultry - by all means get rid of it.

I am an avid pet owner and animal lover - look at my sig and I have pets who are all natural enemies and predators of each other but I knew that going into owning each pet. My dogs will kill rabbits - my shepherd chow mix I took rabbit hunting last year with my neighbor because she good at it - and I owned rabbits - she knew if they were in cages they aren't to be touched.

How is the dog getting to the poultry? If your dog can get to them other predators can as well - so you may want to look at fortifying your coop and run better for future with or without the dog.

I am just tired of seeing people who have chickens for a year or two or less and their dog is expected to like and love them - and then when something like this happens the first animal to go is the 10 year old dog.
hmm.png
It just doesn't make sense to me. Dogs are predators - and certain dogs have a higher prey drive. My neighbor's cousin shot his dog for killing a chicken he had just gotten a few weeks previously - and this is something I hear about quite often. Shooting the dog themself or taking to the pound and it seems so harsh to a pet that was there first is all i'm saying.

Again - sorry for your loss I know its tough, but don't jump the gun right after an incident. Just curious though - how much time, energy, and money have you tried to devote to training the dog and protecting the chickens? (ETA this is a rethorical (sp) question ) - If you can't afford it and weeks and months of training hasn't worked - then do what you got to do.

Good luck and
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom