Never though this would be possible!!! UPDATE CHICKS ARE HATCHING!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crash0330, Jul 3, 2010.

1. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    So Fisrt of all I live in southern California and its HOOOOOOT right now! themperature is in the 100 right now, somy hens have been laying eggs as usual, and I stoped collecting them in hope that oone of the hens would go broody, but this morning I went outside and since I have an empty incubator and its running I thought I would just put 7 of the 15 eggs that were in the nest in the incubator, so I did and I took an extra one just to crack it open and check for fertility, ( since I have 2 production hens and a silkie roo and I havent really seen him do his thing on them) anyways I crack the egg open and this is what I found!
    And it had a beating heart I could see it
    [​IMG]
    I felt so bad cuz I basically killed my little baby!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    What did you find? I can't stand the suspense!!!!

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Haha when the computer clicked back to your post, then it downloaded your pics. Try not to feel bad about your little chickie, at least you know that everything is in good working order and they will always make more for you.

4. crash0330

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    And now I dont know what to do! I just put the rest of the eggs on the incubator on the brown eggs is hard to check if the embryos are growing but I checked on the silkie eh=ggs and I could see the at least 4 of them developing and the other 2 they just laid the 2 days ago, and Im guessing the brown ones are the same, so I have 14 eggs and all at different stages!

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry you had to find it like that .. I would caution you to put a "Graphic Warning" on your title though as some folks may wig out on you...

6. crash0330

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:OK I just did,
    Im guessing the oldest egg must be about 6 days old!

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Man good luck with that.. I would probably just turn the whole bator instead of using a auto turner and just keep a spray bottle of water close by so when you pluck out a baby you can get the humidity back up quickly... If you can candle then I would try to mark them so you know which are developed more then the others

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:OK I just did,
    Im guessing the oldest egg must be about 6 days old!

Thank you.. I know soo many people have the fear of opening one and I didnt want anyone to yell at you... [​IMG]

Also since you have a guiesstiamte on how old they are you can still use an auto turner up until I would say about 4 days to lockdown (i realize it will be a kinda lockdown.. ) Then i would take out the auto and use a two by four under one side of the bator to turn, just switch it form side to side to turn the eggs...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  9. crash0330

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Im counting last monday as the first day of development and from there Im gonns count 21 days at day 19 ill stop turning them and then hopefully the others can catch up, Do you guys think its a good idea?

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds great..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by