Never thought I'd be a chicken lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gelina44, Jul 23, 2013.

1. gelina44

gelina44 Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    I never thought I'd be raising chickens, but I love gardeing and my aunt kept on about how the chickens make free fertalizer... Then our towm made backyard chickens legal and cheap to have.... well now I have 3 Buff Orpingtons rescues from a mean flock, and about to add three more chicks Ameracaunas this time. I have used several resources found on this site and decided it was time to become a member and start contributing to the conversation.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

Never, ever thought I'd love chickens, but they surprised me. Individual little feathered personalities! Oh my.
    :love

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, gelina44, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!! You are really going to enjoy chickens - the fertilizer and the eggs - yum!!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    do you mean the rescues are "mean " birds - you wrote they came from a mean flock. I would keep the new chicks away from them just in case.

6. gelina44

gelina44 Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    The flock they were in was mean, they had pecked most of the feathers off these three, not that you would guess that today, they all healed and filled out nicely ... They are sweet birds themselves.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by